Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Evil Storm This Way Comes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hi fellow members,

As you probably read in the news already, we here on the East Coast of the US are about to be hit by a pretty big storm. Thing is, they are saying now that it is supposed to touch down (landfall) right on the coast of my state (NJ). This is the first time i remember a storm this big hitting here first, and they say that it does the most damage in the first place it hits when it hits land. So i have no idea how bad this is going to be.

Luckily i dont live right on the coast, but that didnt stop big problems in my town from pretty bad disasters before where we once saw over 10 feet of water in the middle of town right on the main street! It looked like a great big river! They had to use rescue boats and helicopters and even had to put out a few fires via helicopter drop.

So im not sure what's going to happen in the next few days, say Monday through Wednesday. If i dont show up for a while dont be surprised.

Wish me luck and prayers would be nice too :)

Good Luck MrAl. They are saying this could be a bad one, so please take all precautions and make all necessary preparations.

I'm further north in New England, and am now doing the same. Looks like we will not get it as bad as you will, but you never know exactly what a storm will do. I don't trust computer models, particularly those that predict the weather. .

Good luck guys. Hang on to your hats.....etc

IIRC, this one is the second time I'm seeing you in same problem, good luck!

Haven't seen audioguru popped in here after the Canadian quake, AG where are you dear ;)

Best wishes to all of the Eastcoasters!

AG is in Toronto and the quake was on the West coast of Canada, several thosand miles away, not a ripple in his tea!

Again, best wishes and good luck! E

to all our friends includeing ATOMSOFT who are in the path of this storm, good luck, keep safe and when possiable stay in touch, my family and i have you in our thoughts and prayers. just heard some more about it on the news here in UK sounds like it could be one the bigest ever seen! stay safe everyone

kind regards Jason

My wife was over on the east coast last year during one of the hurricanes that came up by New York.

She said it was almost as windy and rainy as one of our typical North Dakota summer storms. :p

I'm currently in Boston, preparing for the storm. Going to hit us late tonight/early tomorrow morning. I've brought in all my important stuff. I got hit by Irene last summer, when I was still in Vermont. Had some major flooding all over the state, and my place of work was closed for 8 months. Hopefully Sandy won't be too bad, though I must say--I love storms :D

Hoping everyone in the path of the storm stays safe. Take it easy folks--batten down the hatches!

Best wishes,
Matt

Hopefully all will be well with those in the path. We (Cleveland) are already getting the miserable, cold, sustained rains. Local flooding may be an issue here, but not much else.

When I was much younger and in Maryland, we'd lay on the grass and watch the hurricane clouds while getting really soaked with the rain.

I was in Baltimore for Agnes. That was a very different experience. Nothing like it before or since has caused such flooding along the Susquehanna. I did not lay on the grass for that one.

As for the difference between a strong Midwestern storm and a hurricane, I personally never experienced the fear with a hurricane like I had with the storms in Minnesota. I think the abruptness of onset, amount of lightning and lack of warning contribute to the fear factor.

John

Last edited:
I was just informed that I do not have to show up to work tomorrow due to the impending weather. On one hand, I'll enjoy the time off, but on the other, that's a day's less pay for the week.... :p

Mr Al, how's the weather looking from where you are?

You East Coasters are wimps. :D You would never survive in Minnesota, either Dakota, or Hays, KS.

John

You East Coasters are wimps. :D You would never survive in Minnesota, either Dakota, or Hays, KS.

John

Personally, I relish the idea of a severe storm :D

Thing is, a storm here (with the same magnitude as one out west) will do more damage, because things here aren't built to withstand that sort of weather. We just don't get it as much, so we don't go through all the trouble of severe-weather-proofing buildings.

Looks like the politicians are taking this storm VERY seriously.... I hope you guy's fair well..

Even smaller storms create carnage.. It's the damage they cause not just the lives they take....

Personally, I relish the idea of a severe storm :D

Thing is, a storm here (with the same magnitude as one out west) will do more damage, because things here aren't built to withstand that sort of weather. We just don't get it as much, so we don't go through all the trouble of severe-weather-proofing buildings.

I'm sure you have heard the adage that your poor planning is not my emergency. Remember the Three Little Pigs? Those of us from the Midwest remember well the damage done by Katrina in 2005 and well the the widespread floods in Iowa in 2008. Iowa has completely recovered from its natural disaster that received almost no media attention. Louisiana is still whining about Katrina. It is all a matter of perspective. Like I said, I would rather weather an East Coast hurricane than a Midwest major storm.

Sure, I sympathize with the victims. But, since you live in the path of hurricanes, it is your responsibility to be prepared.

John

Sure, I sympathize with the victims. But, since you live in the path of hurricanes, it is your responsibility to be prepared.

John

That's my point. I, for one, DON'T live in the path of regular hurricanes. Sure, we get a little rain and a little wind when one makes landfall, but that's usually it. Nothing damaging. But last year and this year there have been some hurricanes coming further up north than normal and we didn't/don't have much time to prepare.

Sheesh aint this storm only a cat2 storm, back when I lived up north if a cyclone was only a cat 2 then life went on as normal however a cat5 was a different kettle of fish. For those who will lose power for a few days just go do the Aussie thing and fill up the bath with beer and ice. There will be plenty of beer to drink so it will be party time and when the power goes out put the food out of the fridge in waterproof bags and chuck em in the bath. If the power is out for days then after the beer runs out one will still have fresh water to drink.....

Besides if a the cat5 eye of the storm did cross pretty close then one wouldn't care about kissing ones ass as well if ya time is up might aswell go out with no pain and nice and drunk.....

The good ol' days of cyclones are long gone for me as I now live in southern Oz but I used to love em....

Cheers Bryan

Hi again,

Well the News still states it's going to touch down here so the forecast didnt change yet and it doesnt look like it will. They are saying that several models agree so it look like we are going to get hit sometime today or tonight. I'd be happy if it turned out to sea, but there's no way to know if that would happen or reason to believe that it could happen.

Steve, thanks and you will have to prepare too and take precautions.

DerStrom, so far it looks calm out there. We are very close to a river so im going to watch the reports on the river depth over the next 24 hours to keep an eye out for flooding. I'll try to post reports as long as possible.
I've just seen that there are big waves and high winds on the coast, so we are seeing the start of it already.

Transistor, yes last year we got hit too, and that was pretty nasty.

They are saying this is a freakish storm too so it could get wild. Lets just hope that somehow it doesnt get too bad.

Last edited:
They say Sandy is 700 miles wide.

Hi again,

Oh ok so we will feel something that's for sure.

I've also seen now that it has turned west a little ahead of schedule. This means less rain for us but stronger winds.
It's really a toss up though how bad it will be because there are three weather systems that are meeting up in this general area, Sandy being one of them. That's like throwing a wrench in the works because nobody can be sure what will happen.

I've seen now that it is expected to affect 50 million people in 14 states.

i expect you all have links like this but here is a link to the NOAA page dedicated to sandy just incase it helps someone **broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back