Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ETO Site Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericgibbs

Most Helpful Member
hi,
Accessing the site and threads/posts is getting slower and slower, anyone know what is causing this slow down.?

The lack of speed is well past the irritation point.!:mad:

Eric

EDIT:
After pressing the Create new Thread, it took 50 seconds to load.

If the number of ads increases the site will probably get even slower!
Slowness leads to lack of immediate indication when buttons are clicked, hence double posts, hence edits/deletions, hence more site traffic, hence slower site response, ...... etc. But there comes a point when so many members abandon the site that traffic is reduced and response time improves. The few remaining members will benefit :).

Let's give the new owners some time to work out the bugs. They are aware of the situation and are working to increase the speed, and EM is working with them to see about having the ads removed for members, or at least for forum supporters. The transition is still in the early stages, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens. We'll just have to try to bear with the slowness for a little while longer.

Regards,
Matt

In the meantime, can't we have the ads in banner format rather than taking up 30% of the screen on the right?

or at least for forum supporters.
Hi Matt,
If the ads are mandatory for non forum supporters the site will lose most of its active voluntary helpers.
At this time you can count on two hands the members who actively help OP's.

If the definition of a Forum Supporter is a member who pays a monthly subscription to ETO, it should in my opinion be redefined to also cover long term active 'helpers'.

Like many other non fee subscribing active members, [I stopped my subscription a few weeks ago.] I have spent hundreds of hours supporting ETO and clocked up to close to 20,000 posts since joining in Jan 2007.

IIRC there was a Thread by EM who said members who posted an Article would be listed as a Forum Supporter.??

Regards
Eric

ericgibbs said:
If the definition of a Forum Supporter is a member who pays a monthly subscription to ETO, it should in my opinion be redefined to also cover long term active 'helpers'.

EM agreed. Although in a PM I didn't use the term "helper", but rather those in the high point count category.

All "two hands" of us could go "on strike" until demands are met unless the purpose of the new owners is to destroy ETO. e.g. Buy and remove competition.

Forum Supporters ??

In the past, ETO was a "one man band" run by Electromaster, and I guess that his motive was to do something useful in the world of electronics.

It is my understanding that all the costs were his, and that he offset these costs by selling advertising space (which was not intrusive) and by donations from "Forum Supporters".
How much he made from this I have no idea, and do not care, that is his business alone.

Under the new organisational structure, ETO is part of a medium sized advertising organisation, and again my guess is that their motive is to make money by selling advertising space in various location.
Under this new regime, how would any member of this forum consider it a good idea to make voluntary contributions to an advertising business?
I suggest that the category of Forum Supporter as we have known it in the past is now redundant.

My own position?
I am not and never have been a forum supporter in the financial sense, I have however spent large amounts of time answering questions from less experienced users.
As for the 30% advert band at the right hand side of the screen, it is the biggest and most intrusive band of any site which I frequent.

JimB

^^^ You have said it all Jim. Kudos to you :)

I could have not expressed my feelings better.

All the best,
tvtech

Forum Supporters ??

...Under this new regime, how would any member of this forum consider it a good idea to make voluntary contributions to an advertising business?
I suggest that the category of Forum Supporter as we have known it in the past is now redundant. ...

Same here, JimB.

I've asked that question of MMathisen (not as a PM) in another post in this forum and have not rec'd a reply.

So....

I guess I'll just stop that tag on the credit card, for now...

I wonder if instead of signifying financial donations to the site, the "forum supporter" tag should be used to show who has contributed articles, e-books, etc? Seems like it would make more sense at this point.

Regards,
Matt

EDIT: Oops, I think someone may have already suggested this :p

Hi,

So EM no longer runs this site?

Yesterday, and again today, site acces had/has slowed to a crawl. Any particular reason?

Yesterday, and again today, site acces had/has slowed to a crawl. Any particular reason?

Same here, I thought it was just my internet connection though.

^^ Strange stuff..

I posted I think 7 links to "funny" Videos here today....no problem.
Try and edit though..and it's a train smash.....Buttons don't work like they should.

Site hangs and buggerall happens :grumpy:

Thing is not everybody out there that visits ETO understands why the site is slow.....and then they do not bother coming back...

For example, I or We (for want of a better word) understand that things are happening behind the scenes....and put up with it.

New comers or new visitors will toss a site that is doing what ETO is doing at the moment.....up to speed....slow down....up to speed etc...

The new owners need to get things sorted ASAP.

Regards,
tvtech

Hi,

I noticed a lot of variance too lately, but the thing that was the strangest was that when i post a message sometimes it does not tell me that it actually was done posting, so it appears that *nothing* happened, when actually it completed already.

If this happens to you (you press the post reply button and nothing seems to happen) you can always bring up another instance of the site in your browser to check to see if it really got posted or not.

I also advise everyone to "copy and paste" their post into a text editor BEFORE they press the "post reply" button just in case the post text you've typed for 20 minutes gets lost in deep internet space :)

I am starting to wonder if all the circuit schematic image files are going to get lost again. I hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back