Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ethernet switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSGarcia

Are there any 10/100 Ethernet switch (or hub) chips available that require minimal support? I only need a simple unmanaged switch (or hub) with 3 ports with automatic crossover. This needs to work in a rugged environment with an extended temperature range.

I know there are complete devices on the market, but space is a premium for this embedded application.

If it is not simple, then I will have to enlarge my enclosure to accomidate an off-the-shelf unit.

Thanks,
Dale

Hey, i just ripped a hub apart. There is only one chip in it; AD7988. That is out of an 8 port hub, though, so there may be something a bit smaller. It would be cheaper to buy one. They are pretty small.

Thanks Marks, but I read somewhere that AMD is discontinuing their Ethernet chipset offerings. I don't want to design with potentially obsolete parts.

I think I will just rip apart an ADAM-6510 and RTV it down to another board that will have my circuitry. When it is in its plastic box it is too large, but perhaps I can make it fit if I glue the naked board to something.

Thanks,
Dale

check out broadcom ... they make the silicon driving much of todays low to mid-end networking hardware

specifically the BCM5385 is a 5 port switch (IC) with built in copper PHYs.

according to the datasheet, it is available in a 324 pin 19mm² package ... not what I'd call breadboard friendly!

Dale,

Did you have any luck? We are looking to do the same thing. We're currently using SixNet switches which work quite well but would like to build our own to save a few bucks. I'm looking for any information on building our own small industrial grade switch module that could easily integrate into a modular wireless router (i.e. one Ethernet Port) to add some user ports.

Thanks,

-Pat

Pat,

I dropped that particular project, but at the time, I did find a couple of manufacturers that had parts though I don't remember them since it was almost 4 years ago.

A Bing search on "Ethernet switch chip" brings up several hits. I think Micrel was the company I was checking out because they had chip offerings with extended temperature ranges.

Thanks,
Dale

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back