Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ethernet between two laptops without crossover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grrr_arrghh

Hi.

Computer Question:

Two laptops. Each with a network card. Can I connect them together using a normal Cat5 patch cable? I know I can do it with a crossover cable, but this is a temporary measure, so it doesn't really warrant going out and buying any more bits...

The two laptops are currently connected to a large network (accross the whole building), which connects them to a high speed internet connection. Could they (as an alternative) connect through this (i.e. accross the internet)?

They could connect through the large network, but then everyone on the network would be able to access the conents of the laptops, which would not be good.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tim

u must use a crossover cable unless it is thru a hub or router. if not u connect the transmit from 1 pc to transmit to the other pc and the to receives together. a hub or router wouls switch this, or a crossover cable. u can get USB networks (basically a wire with a lil box and 2 usb connectors - 1 for each pc)

grrr_arrghh said:
They could connect through the large network, but then everyone on the network would be able to access the conents of the laptops, which would not be good.

Connecting them both to the main network wouldn't make the contents available to the other users, unless you wanted it to!. Only the parts you want accessable need to be made so, and you can password protect access very easily - so only authorised users have access.

Otherwise, as already suggested, either use a crossover cable, or plug them both into another hub.

andrew2022 said:
u must use a crossover cable unless it is thru a hub or router. if not u connect the transmit from 1 pc to transmit to the other pc and the to receives together. a hub or router wouls switch this, or a crossover cable. u can get USB networks (basically a wire with a lil box and 2 usb connectors - 1 for each pc)

Many newer NIC's being installed today have integrated auto-detecting crossovers (referred to as "auto-switching" NIC's), allowing for direct connection between two devices via straight-through UTP cables.

If your really needed to do it you could set up a DHCP service on one of the PC to make it act as a domain controller. That way the other will pick up an IP address and both via shares will be able to access each other.

Nigel Goodwin said:
grrr_arrghh said:
Connecting them both to the main network wouldn't make the contents available to the other users, unless you wanted it to!. Only the parts you want accessable need to be made so, and you can password protect access very easily - so only authorised users have access.
in did think of that, but this is the simgle most insecure network I have ever come accross! as such, I didn't really want to share anything. Spose just for a temporary measure, I could use the password protect...

I do Have a spare hub lying around, but i asked the question on behalf of my sister, who is at uni - nowhere near where I live.

Many newer NIC's being installed today have integrated auto-detecting crossovers (referred to as "auto-switching" NIC's), allowing for direct connection between two devices via straight-through UTP cables.
Really? I didn't know that. Any idea how I find out if the two NICs are 'auto-switching'?

Thanks everyone

Tim.

grrr_arrghh said:
Any idea how I find out if the two NICs are 'auto-switching'?

Start out by identifying the particular NIC's in use and then go to their makers' sites and look at the specs... :)

BTW -- only one of them would need to be auto-switching for the two devices to communicate. In fact, if I recall correctly, there may be a problem if both are auto-switching and are both set in fully automatic mode.

ChrisP said:
grrr_arrghh said:
Any idea how I find out if the two NICs are 'auto-switching'?

Start out by identifying the particular NIC's in use and then go to their makers' sites and look at the specs... :)
lol, silly question...

thanks everyone, thats really helpful.

Tim.

why no simply plug the straight cable and see if it works?
if at least one of the two PCs has newer NIC you are done...
(for example inspiron7600 which I use has it)

If you're worried about security, might I suggest using SSH and SCP to control access? If someone on this insecure network of yours can punch through those protocals, you have bigger things to worry about!

panic mode: one of the laptops is an inpiron...

If someone on this insecure network of yours can punch through those protocals, you have bigger things to worry about!
lol, how true.

Either way, the people I was trying to sort this out for have decided that they would rather pay someone to sort it all out for them :cry: :cry:

so all my (and your) efforts are wasted.

Thanks anyway everyone, I have learnt something...

Tim

its never wasted ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back