Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Etch-a-sketch type object on larger scale and more useful nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishael

i want to build a 2 dimensional grid (up/down, left/right) that controls a theatrical light (pretty heavy so a hearty, larger, current-friendly, circuit seems nice) from a joystick or something of that effect, with varying speed and multiple directions at once, plus id like the modules to be wireless with the control structure to be battery operated but the actual grid is corded. now that may seem difficult (which im guessing it is extremely) its basically a wireless etch-a-sketch on a larger scale and more useful nature.

is it even possible without extensive planning?

If you could get your hands on an old X / Y graphics plotter it would get you started in the right direction. Remove the small motor and possibly use the guts to drive a larger motor driver system. Anyway, it may make for a good foundation for what you want to do.

Ron

I was born after the time of graphics plotters so I have a problem understanding what that is. It's theory seems fine but I still don't have a clue to how that works or what it even looks like

i would suggest 2 up/down counters for X and Y, that you attach to your stick, then you could decode your y axis to voltage input level, and use X as your "ID" switch to access each channel

still a little extensive though, you may need to know a bit about digital

You could always visit a machine shop to see an old milling machine (I think there are some still around). Same principal.

You want to aim your light with the stick or you want to physically move the projector ?

If you only want to aim the light, look at how nightclub gear does it : the big, heavy light is fixed, and the small, light mirror which aims the beam is mobile. You could even get one of those and send it commands using DMX512...

well these are theatrical lights so theyre just long not exactly bulky. and thats not an option for me because i need a very very large range of motion in a way. i live in a small farming town. we dont have machine shops

What you are looking to do with stage lights won't be easy or cheap. You are looking at an X / Y axis system with, from what you describe long travel on both axis. If the theater scenes use other lighting on truss work this would need to run above your trusses. Additionally the power for the lamp will need to be fed from either a rail network or a large festoon cable.

Earlier I suggested looking at the workings of a X / Y plotter just to get an idea of how this works. Also, as was mentioned looking at the workings of a 2 axis milling machine would give you an idea on a small scale. Also large cranes may be worth a look. None of this will be easy or simple for your application.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back