Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Especially for Noobs - Idiot's triangle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boncuk

Hi All,

I read many posts concerned with resistance, current & voltage calculation.
The key to this is OHM's law.

for everybody having problems using the law properly here is an idiot's triangle to solve for any value without errors.

Instructions: Cover the desired value, e.g. Voltage in Volt (U) to calculate for it. What is left of the triangle is R * I. Calculating for either R (Resistance in Ω) or I (Current in Ampéres) (I standing for intensity) cover either one of both. The remainder of the formula is clearly visible: U/I respectively U/R.

Good luck! :)

Boncuk

Attachments

• TRIANGLE.jpg
    TRIANGLE.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 305
For all you noobs out there, don't take offense at Boncuk referring to the idiot's triangle, not that your idiots. It's more of a "Ohm's Law for Dummies" kind of thing.:D

Last edited:
For all you noobs out there, don't take offense at Boncuk referring to the idiot's triangle, not that your idiots. It's more of a "Ohm's Law for Dummies" kind of thing.:D

I like the golden triangle more anyway:D

No problem with the term idiot! Literally it just means layman or beginner. The interpretation has changed a bit though. :D

It's not at all meant offensive. Just a little help how to easily get along with Ohm's law.

Hans

Recommend this be attached to the sticky post "New to Electronics F.A.Q" if it's not already there.

Last edited:
Recommend this be attached to the sticky post "New to Electronics F.A.Q" if it's not already there.

Hi Carl,

I'll contact the admin for that. I'll rename the title to read: "Magic triangle"

Are your roots in Germany? Carl is a language raped "Karl".

Hans

You know, if you think about it, the village idiot has to be the smartest guy in town. To keep his job, he has to appear to do more idiotic things than the rest of the people in the village. That's hard work.

Hi All,

Instructions: Cover the desired value, e.g. Voltage in Volt (U) to calculate for Good luck! :)

Boncuk

The (U) looks like a U rather than a (V) "Vee",to me. In the USA we have used E for voltage for many years, but I understand the V.

Hi Carl,
Hans
Ya, you got it. Both sides of my family (great grandfathers and grandmothers) came from Germany around the turn of the 20th century and settled in a Wisconsin farm valley full of other Germans. I was named after my Dad's father.

You know, if you think about it, the village idiot has to be the smartest guy in town. To keep his job, he has to appear to do more idiotic things than the rest of the people in the village. That's hard work.

eating babies and pushing grannies off the curb doesn't require much smartness. :D

Hi Carl,

I'll contact the admin for that. I'll rename the title to read: "Magic triangle"

Hans

hi Hans,
That magic triangle has more whiskers than Santa Claus..:rolleyes:
I agree its useful in helping Tyro's to recall Ohms Law.

The triangle can also be labelled with P at the top in place of the U/V
and the other two symbols with U/V, I

P
V* I

Regards.

Last edited:
hi Hans,
That magic triangle has more whiskers than Santa Claus..:rolleyes:
I agree its useful in helping Tyro's to recall Ohms Law.

The triangle can also be labelled with P at the top in place of the U/V
and the other two symbols with U/V, I

P
V* I

Regards.

Good idea, Eric.

I'll make one triangle.

Here's some more.

I found the formula wheel somewhere in the internet.

Boncuk

Attachments

• TRIANGLES.jpg
    TRIANGLES.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 284
  • FORMULA WHEEL.jpg
    FORMULA WHEEL.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 220
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back