Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Esp32 module Board Type with Arduino IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

When using a ESP32 module with the Arduino IDE you have a long list of Boards to select from.

Some boards clearly have the Makers name printed on the pcb , but like ours, not all do.

Is there a way to establish which type/make of board we have ?

Seems you can pick a board type at random as some appear to work, but do not know what the key differences between them are or how it could affect the programmed code .

We did get a reply from one supplier who said they used board type "NODE MCU 32S" , but seems it also works ok if you select "ESP Dev Module"

The boards we use are the 38 pin ESP-WROOM-32 ESP32DOWDQ6 two appear the same type but the third has a different in component layout etc.

It's all the same chip, so the same code for 'most' - but there are minor differences in what connects where - and you seem pretty 'spot on' with randomly picking one (a common one is generally best to start), and see if it works OK.

I just started playing with some ESP32s this week. I used the first ESP32 dev board option and it's worked fine so far.

One big difference from the ESP8266 Node MCU modules – the ESP32 modules I have don't automatically download code; you have to press the [BOOT] button when the IDE attempts to communicate to start the process. From the comments I've read on the boards I have, this has confused many people.

I just started playing with some ESP32s this week. I used the first ESP32 dev board option and it's worked fine so far.

One big difference from the ESP8266 Node MCU modules – the ESP32 modules I have don't automatically download code; you have to press the [BOOT] button when the IDE attempts to communicate to start the process. From the comments I've read on the boards I have, this has confused many people.

Well I use both the Arduino IDE and Atmel Studio ( better for big code jobs) and both send the code to the board by the usual Upload icon, no need to press the Boot button on the module, though think I remember reading about some boards that do make you do that.

As well as this forum, this link has some good info / tutorials on the ESP32 boards.
May seem like they are trying to sell their stuff, but lots of it is free.
https://randomnerdtutorials.com/getting-started-with-esp32/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back