Esp32 module Board Type with Arduino IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

When using a ESP32 module with the Arduino IDE you have a long list of Boards to select from.

Some boards clearly have the Makers name printed on the pcb , but like ours, not all do.

Is there a way to establish which type/make of board we have ?

Seems you can pick a board type at random as some appear to work, but do not know what the key differences between them are or how it could affect the programmed code .

We did get a reply from one supplier who said they used board type "NODE MCU 32S" , but seems it also works ok if you select "ESP Dev Module"

The boards we use are the 38 pin ESP-WROOM-32 ESP32DOWDQ6 two appear the same type but the third has a different in component layout etc.

It's all the same chip, so the same code for 'most' - but there are minor differences in what connects where - and you seem pretty 'spot on' with randomly picking one (a common one is generally best to start), and see if it works OK.

I just started playing with some ESP32s this week. I used the first ESP32 dev board option and it's worked fine so far.

One big difference from the ESP8266 Node MCU modules – the ESP32 modules I have don't automatically download code; you have to press the [BOOT] button when the IDE attempts to communicate to start the process. From the comments I've read on the boards I have, this has confused many people.

Well I use both the Arduino IDE and Atmel Studio ( better for big code jobs) and both send the code to the board by the usual Upload icon, no need to press the Boot button on the module, though think I remember reading about some boards that do make you do that.

As well as this forum, this link has some good info / tutorials on the ESP32 boards.
May seem like they are trying to sell their stuff, but lots of it is free.
https://randomnerdtutorials.com/getting-started-with-esp32/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…