Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Esd suppressor spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark

Hi;
Please have a look at this datasheet https://www.vishay.com/docs/88301/15ke.pdf , fig 12 .
The power at 1 ms is 1500w . From fig 12 , I get 1500*0.2 = 300C. Therefore can we operate it
at 300C ? . The datasheet specifies TJ max as 175C.

That's peak power, not average power for 1ms. Take a look at Figure 2. The pulse wave-shape is not a square pulse so you need to multiply the peak pulse power by the integrated value of the exponential decaying pulse, not by the 1ms you used. That gives the watts dissipated which you can then use in Figure 12 to determine the temperature which should give more like a 175C rise.

Therefore can we operate it at 300C ?
Crutschow did not expressly state it, but the answer is no.

JimB

That's peak power, not average power for 1ms. Take a look at Figure 2. The pulse wave-shape is not a square pulse so you need to multiply the peak pulse power by the integrated value of the exponential decaying pulse, not by the 1ms you used. That gives the watts dissipated which you can then use in Figure 12 to determine the temperature which should give more like a 175C rise.

I am still confused , It is specified in datasheet as follows;
Peak pulse power dissipation with a 10/1000 μs waveform (1) (fig. 1) PPPM 1500 W
Notes:
(1) Non-repetitive current pulse, per fig. 3 and derated above TA = 25 °C per fig. 2

I was thinking that fig12 corresponds to 1 ms rating ? for that given exponential pulse. If you multiply Max clamping voltage by its Ip it will result into 1500W .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back