Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESD packing for Electronic Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven7890

Dear all,
I bought some loose components from Element14 recently, and found that my LM317LILP (TO-92, 3-pin, order # 2144325) was delivered in a non-ESD bag, while another component 2N3906 (common PNP TO-92 transistor) was packed in ESD bag, see photo attached. To my surprise, Element14 replied that according to page 7 of the LM317 datasheet (https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm317l.pdf), ESD packaging is NOT required. However I did not find anything relevant in said datasheet (sure I am not good enough to understand all in the datasheet)....
Anyone knows about ESD packing requirement for delivery/shipment of (sensitive) electronic components, kindly comment....

Attachments

• IMG_5595.JPG
    IMG_5595.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 289
You are correct, the datasheet in your link does not appear to make reference to ESD precautions.

I would have expected a semiconductor device from a major supplier to be supplied in an ESD bag as a matter of course.

The last lot of 3 terminal regulators which I bought from RS Components came in a ESD bags, as does EVERY semiconductor device which I by from them.

JimB

The latest reply from Element14 is as follows:
"It states NON APPLICABLE for MSL (Moisture Sensitivity Level). Only those product with MSL level 1 and above requires ESD packaging."
Fyi, the above message again refers to the page 7 of the TI LM317 datasheet....
But I know that MSL is relevant to PCB assembly process in the production floor, and should not be used as a guide to decide if the item needs be packed in ESD bag during shipment/delivery..........

Only a small number of components are ESD sensitive (mostly CMOS ones), I would say neither of your items needed to be in ESD bags.

As Jim said, RS Components tend to send everything in ESD bags :D which really bugs me!.

Mouser Does it as well. Even more so they put Tantalum Caps in a bag that is ESD safe, along with a desiccant pack and a humidity indicator. I end up with a ton of waste if I order a lot of stuff :/

I am going to start sending my e-mails in ESD envelopes along with a humidity indicator.

Then the Suppliers that don't believe in any sort of ESD protection...

Mantech South Africa....so many times I have tried to help them with packaging....problem is the staff do not comprehend...
Phone them, tell them, plead with them.

All it takes is a packer wearing a Nylon jacket walking on a synthetic carpet. Zap here zap there.

Everything ESD related goes to hell in the blink of an eye. And the stuff has not even left their premises yet...

Before I go on...RS take NO chances. They have learned in the years they have been in business to charge and pack accordingly...be it a single resistor or whatever....they take no chances.

Everything/component I have ever purchased from RS has always worked. Albeit at a price. When you are busy designing stuff....the best bet.

Production...than you can look around later.

There is so much Fake stuff out there now. Especially here.

Regards,
tvtech

I just received a Mouser order and ESD bags for MSL parts and some SMT LEDs. Nothing really overdone.

I wasn't real happy with a TSSOP-8 adapter to DIP because you can't use a stencil with it because that manufacturer took the easy way out. The pins stick through the side with the component instead of having it free and clear on the side with a component. Proto-advantage is much better.
Although, I only had one IC mounted by them, their invoice doesn't show what it was.

Anyway, maybe I am being pedantic here..

Normal shop $5 for an IC.
RS maybe $7.50 for the same thing...at least I know the RS one is the real deal and original.....

As a technician.....it can save me hours and hours of chasing my own tail.

Never mind a poor Guy building a circuit...he knows what he is doing.....everything is connected/soldered correctly...

But it will not work :banghead:

Been there with this kind of stuff years ago....what do you do...destroy, rip up your perfect project....and it's not you :arghh:

Regards,
tvtech

Anyway, maybe I am being pedantic here..
Normal shop $5 for an IC.
RS maybe $7.50 for the same thing...at least I know the RS one is the real deal and original.....

I agree with you.

The stuff from RS is expensive for several reasons,
They stock millions of different items
Holding stock costs money
Their stuff is good quality and "does what it says on the tin"
They sell small quantities
Their stuff is correctly handled at all stages through the system.

ESD precautions.
It is accepted within industry that proper ESD precautions for ALL semiconductor devices is necessary.
It has been found that if a device gets an ESD zap, it may not fail immediately, even though it has been damaged to some extent.
If the failure occurs during the build/test stage that is annoying and has a cost associated with the rework.
If however the failure occurs when the equipment containing the zapped device is in service, it can be:
Dangerous, think bits in an aircraft.
Expensive to replace. In a aircraft not so bad they are easy to get at when on the ground. But something on the bottom of the sea, or in space, we are now talking mega-bucks.
There can also be consequential costs, an aircraft on the ground being fixed earns no money, delayed passengers go on the huff and fly with your competitors next trip.
If the broken bit on the sea bed means you are not producing oil/gas, that is VERY expensive.

On a personal note, my wife would not let me forget the three zapped modem chips at £20 a time, all due to the carpet in my radio/electronic hobbies room.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back