Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESD Considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusttree

I'm choosing a TVS diode for ESD protection in my USB circuit. I'm noticing that the datasheets for a lot of parts recommend grounding the TVS diode to the chassis, not the signal ground. I don't anticipate ever having a metallic chassis for my device, so is signal ground good enough?

Also, I'm gathering that reverse standoff voltage and capacitance are the most important qualities (for high-frequency signals, at least) to look for in a TVS diode. Are there any other qualities I should take into account? For example, I see the power rating on TVS diodes, but how do I choose an appropriate value for power? Aren't ESD events erratic and unpredictable? How would I know how much power to design for?

Last edited:
Take a look at this article.
**broken link removed**

Ok, a USB circuit won't see very high energy spikes like those found in automotive load dump events. Notably the bidirectional TVS are slower than the unidirectional . If u expect to see negative going spikes u can add a 2nd unidirectional TVS & series diode to block shorting the regular supply . The series diode should be a fast swithcing type like a schottky, a GP 1n4001 works reasonably well though. Also for multi input devices u can use routing diodes with a single TVS rather than a whole bunch of TVS or buy a TVS array chip.

When I design heavy duty spike suppression , I use a TVS backed by a MOV of the correct rating as the MOV is much slower (but much higher power). So the TVS catches the fast transients and the MOV kicks in if the transient is long lasting and prevents the TVS from frying. U have to make sure the max clamping voltage of the MOV is a bit less than that of the TVS. For very, very fast TVS response, use one with very short leads or an SMD version to reduce inductance.

Use the biggest TVS u can....no such thing as too much. Cost & space are the constraints.

The max clamping voltage is the most important spec followed by the power dissipation and the reaction time

Well, I'm not about to implement industry-standard ESD compliant practices to do hobby electronics in my bedroom. But thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back