Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESD, Conathane VS Humiseal Conformal coating on PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does using Conathane protects components and the pcb board from ESD?
Does using Humiseal conformal coating protects components and the pcb board from ESD?

If a Technician or other puts their hands all over the PCB board that has Conathane or Humiseal conformal coating is this protected from ESD?

Does laying a PCB board on a ESD mate protect it from ESD if a technician touches the IC chips? or does the PCB board need to be grounded with a jump wire from the circuit boards ground to the ESD mate?

What removes Conathane from a PCB?

They have Humiseal thinner to remove conformal coating , but what about Conathane?

Does wearing a ESD wrist strap really do anything when touching TTL and CMOS IC Chips?

How do u turn a normal soldering iron into an ESD soldering station?

Do I need to wear ESD gloves, because i'm touching the solder, can't this cause static?

My Manager said I can use Acetone to remove conathane and humiseal comformal coating

Can I use Acetone? will this damage the pcb board and components?

Conathane is a brand name. Apparently it can be a filled polyurethane, an unfilled hard polyurethane, or an epoxy. I did not bother checking on Humiseal. If you want answers about specific substances, please:
1) Don't just give a brand name that could apply to several different products. Be specific.
2) Give a link to the product description
3) Give a link to the product's technical data sheet
4) Give a link to the product's MSDS

It is conceivable that one or both products can dissipate static, but we don't know, as you didn't give enough information to find out. How protective that coating would be is something the manufacturer would have to document. However, if there is a spark from your hand to the PCB, it seems unlikely the coating will be very protective.

Acetone is a fairly aggressive solvent. It can dissolve some coatings, e.g., lacquers, and it can denature other coatings and make them easily scraped off, e.g., many enamel paints. Most polyurethanes and epoxies will be fairly resistant to it. In fact, as a general rule, such polymers are quite resistant to all solvents after they polymerize (i.e., get hard). Those solvents that do affect such polymers do so by denaturing them, rather than dissolving them.

As for components on your board, acetone may affect polystyrene and acrylic types of plastics, but nylon, epoxy, acetal, and polypropylene are generally resistant. Teflon and related plastics are resistant. Acetone may affect the labels on some components. I would be very careful using acetone around any optical component, such as an IR emitter or detector. You fail to tell us what the pcb you are using is made of. Teflon is resistant to acetone. Epoxy, as already stated, is also fairly resistant. One thing to be careful of is the longterm effect of acetone on some plastics. There may be no immediate effect, but months after exposure the plastic may start to crack and craze. Every plastics manufacturer will have a chart of chemical resistance, and acetone is usually shown on those charts.

John

However, if there is a spark from your hand to the PCB, it seems unlikely the coating will be very protective.

Why can't the coating protect it from a spark or ESD?

What's the point of having this protective coating than?

filled polyurethane, an unfilled hard polyurethane, or an epoxy.

So How do I unsolder IC chips and lift them off when they have filled polyurethane on them? or hard polyurethan, or an epoxy?

Please provide the information I asked of you. Are these questions so you can help your "manager" understand, are they questions of an alternative persona, or are they your questions? I get tired quickly of playing games.

Without knowing what products you are asking about, it is impossible to answer your questions.

John

Conathane is not a single product. Did you read post #3?

Good luck.

John

So How do I unsolder IC chips and lift them off when they have filled polyurethane on them? or hard polyurethan, or an epoxy?
Remove the coating and use solder wick.

Does using Conathane protects components and the pcb board from ESD?
Does using Humiseal conformal coating protects components and the pcb board from ESD?
Billy Mayo said:
I already told u the product names Conathane and Humiseal

Is this a game? You never mentioned Hysol before. That particular Hysol/Henkel product (**broken link removed**) is a moisture-cured polyurethane. Curing is facilitated by heat. It is noted for its resistance to solvents. Like many polyurethanes, it breaks down at moderately high temperature and can be soldered through.
upload_2013-12-26_19-42-23.png

After repair, you will need to re-coat to attain the same level of environmental protection you had before, but that may not be necessary for areas you anticipate re-repairing in a few weeks or so.

Apparently , HumiSeal and Hysol are often carried by the same distributor. Do you know which product you are actually using? Does it have label?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back