Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Errors while programming a PIC16F874A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitt0s

hey guys,

i have built this PIC programmer:

Trying to program an .hex file into the pic i get these errors: **broken link removed**

Info: Loading definitions for "PIC16F874A" from C:\Program Files\WinPic\devices.ini .
Info: Changed to "Vdd before Vpp" in 2004-09-13
Parsed "C:\Program Files\WinPic\devices\PIC16F874A.dev" : found 22 bit combinations in 9 configuration bit groups .
Unknown algorithm name : "16F716 ; ex: ERASE_16F87xA" !
Programming...
Erasing ("bulk" or "chip") ...
EraseAll: Device is not protected, using BULK erase
Programming CODE, 0x000000..0x000FF8
Verifying 0x000000..0x000FF8
Verify Error: 000001: read 003FFF, wanted 00300E
Verify Error: 000002: read 003FFF, wanted 00008A
Verify Error: 000003: read 003FFF, wanted 002EEC
Verify Error: 000004: read 003FFF, wanted 000009
More Verify Errors, unable to list all (total=284)
Programming CONFIG, 0x002000..0x002007
Verifying 0x002000..0x002007
Verify Error: 002007: read 003FFF, wanted 001F72
Programming CONFIG-WORD
Verifying 0x002007..0x002007
Verify Error: 002007: read 003BFD, wanted 001F72
ERROR: Programming FAILED !

what can u guys make of this? what could go wrong here?

It could be that the software is trying to program a different PIC from the one that you are using.

That could be why it is coming up with the "16F716" in the error file.

It is also possible that it has simply failed to program at all, but it can read it OK.

well this happends with ICProg and WinPIC...
it reads ok (it sees it as empty..) its starts the programming.. looks like it finishes.. then it verify the data and the data comes out wrong..

what could cause this? i have checked my circuit.. its seems ok.. what could it be?

Kitt0s said:
what can u guys make of this? what could go wrong here?
Looks like it's not programming the chip. In the verify errors
Verify Error: 000001: read 003FFF, wanted 00300E
Verify Error: 000002: read 003FFF, wanted 00008A
Verify Error: 000003: read 003FFF, wanted 002EEC
Verify Error: 000004: read 003FFF, wanted 000009
It's seeing $3fff where it should see what it programmed. Seems to me I remember $3fff being empty memory locations. I'm going from foggy memory, so I could be wrong.

Erase and read the chip before programming. See if the memory is all $3fff's. Then program it and read again. If it's still $3fff's then the programmer isn't working.

Sounds to me like yes, as someone said, you are trying to program the wrong chip. That could be why it's seeing stuff where it wanted to see something else.

Sorry, I can't help much. I normally use MPLAB with PICKit 2 to program.

Well, im pretty sure its the right pic

its: PIC19F874A-I/P thats what the PIC has on it...
and that IS what iv selected on WinPIC...

i have built this circuit 3 times already: **broken link removed**

Supported and tested devices list:
PIC16F873A(5),PIC16F874A(5),PIC16F876A,PIC16F877A
(5) IC-Prog cannot program/verify/erase these devices with Multi PIC Programmer 5V2. Please use WinPic.

so i used WinPic....

please guys.. help me out here!! this is really important to me :-\

what should i do?

the interface is identified with WinPIC.. the red led goes on..

will MPLAB work with this PIC programmer?

will MPLAB work with this PIC programmer?
Stupid JDM programmers. :mad: They're nothing but trouble. If you possibly can, get yourself a decent modern programmer, like a Microchip PICkit2 or a PICkit2 clone like the Junebug.

No, MPLAB will not work with a JDM. MPLAB will assemble or compile your asm or C code to hex files, but you have to use other software to program that hex file into the PIC with your JDM programmer.

ok so u don't like JDM programmers :] understandable..

maybe i can try the RCD programmer?

problem is, it only got 18pins... i don't really know which pins to connect to my PIC16F874A which has 40 pins...?

Geesh, if you can buy PICs then you can buy a PICkit2. They come from the same supplier. Any place that can sell you a PIC should be able to get you a PICkit2. They're not expensive either. :D

Even a Wisp648 is a big step up from a JDM. I have a Wisp628, and it's not so bad. But once I finally stepped up to using ICD2 and PICkit2 programmers I finally stopped fiddling with the programmers and started actually getting something done with PICs.

Last edited:
well im from Israel, and a PICkit2 or any other PIC programmer is not available on any electronic store.. trust me, i have been to all of them.. :\

Kitt0s said:
well im from Israel, and a PICkit2 or any other PIC programmer is not available on any electronic store.. trust me, i have been to all of them.. :\
Did you ask? If they can order PIC chips, they can certainly order PICkit2 programmers. Same supplier, same catalog, like I said. :)

Here's a link to Microchip sales, rep and distributors in Israel:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
That is a JDM programmer.
Try ordering directly from Microchip. I think they'll ship to almost everywhere.

Tomorrow im going to get a progammer from olimex.com.. should be a good one..

but for now im trying to make that JDM programmer work.. i'v emailed the dude who built the circuit and he said that this kind of PIC have a PGM pin for LVP(Low voltage programming). and if i want to program the PIC i need to PULL PGM pin to Vss.

i have tried to connect PGM to VSS (both of the VSS pins.. ) but still got the same errors..

its seems like it doesnt even read from the PIC..

is there a software that monitors the RS-232 input and output?

Why, when someone tells you that the olimex programmer is a JDM and you know that it doesn't work with your PC are you going to order one?

Just order a Pickit2 from Microchip or a Junebug from Bill's site.

Mike.

not gonna get a JDM based programmer.. i know they have a few of those there.. but they also got other.. (PIC-MCP-USB)

anyway, where should i connect the PGM to ?!

Kitt0s said:
ok so u don't like JDM programmers :] understandable..

maybe i can try the RCD programmer?

problem is, it only got 18pins... i don't really know which pins to connect to my PIC16F874A which has 40 pins...?

I don't think anyone "likes" the JDM, it's just cheap & simple so it's popular. Problem is it can be tough to get running on fast computers with a modern OS.

The RCD is actually a step backwards from the JDM.

Kitt0s said:
not gonna get a JDM based programmer.. i know they have a few of those there.. but they also got other.. (PIC-MCP-USB)

anyway, where should i connect the PGM to ?!

PGM should be GND when using a cheap LVP type programmer, with a HVP programmer (much better) you just treat it like an I/O pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back