Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Error when printing silk screen layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasatboy

I am trying to print the silk screen layer of a board I made with Eagle 4.92.1. I printed the layer normally but all the components are wrong (mirrored) so in the print screen I choose "Mirror" and then print. I got a sheet that says:

PCL XL error

Subsystem: TEXT

Error: IllegalFontData

Operator: TEXT

Position: 825

I have an HP3050 All in One unit?

You could export the image as a BMP file and mirror/flip the image in paint and then print it.

The board is viewed from the top down when laying it out so you do not need to mirror the bottom layer, but you do have to mirror the top when printing it. That is normal.

PCL is the printer language that HP uses to drive their printers. The PCL code generated by Eagle is not being accepted by the printer. This should be reported to Eagle. (It could be the printer but I doubt it)

I think you can work around the problem by printing to a PDF file. Then printing the PDF file on the printer. The hope is that either the printer understands pdf or the translator that generates PCL from pdf will not make the same error as eagle did.

Because you are running beta 4.92.1 this should work. As far as I can tell it the PDF button is broken 4.92.2, it generates empty files. Hope I got that right :D , fairly sure I do.

EDIT:
What kchriste suggested would work but you need to increase the dpi to 900 or more when ask eagle to print it or you end up with pixilation(sp?) the stair step effect. You also have to scale it back down to get it the right size when printing. Easier and cleaner to use PDF if it works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back