Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Error 2318 Java

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

My wifes PC running XP is acting up. She is trying to do an online class but her explorer kept closing without a message. We tried to update Java, but when we try, we get a Java error message 2318.

We can't uninstall as it lock up, we can't rename the directory. Not sure what to do here. Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
One more thing. I think the problem is in Java.exe, so I run a command window, DOS.

I goto the java dir where Java.exe is located. Try to rename the file and I get a CRC error.

Now what? any ideas?

Thanks

That sounds like a corrupt file. Have you run checkdisk? (not sure how you do that anymore.) Or tried a system restore?

<edit> you could boot into a safe mode dos prompt and try deleting it</edit>

Mike.

Last edited:
My wife has a Sony Vaio desktop. Can't figure out how to get in safe mode. I tried F2,F6, F8 and Ctrl F8. As soon as I figure out the key combo I will try that :)

Went to DOS prompt. Ran chkdsk, results were errors reported cannot continue in read only mode.

???

From XP right click on the drive in question. Properties - Tools - Error Checking.

It is likely that the error is on a system drive so it needs to run the checkdisk after a reboot (it will tell you this).

This does sound slightly ominous..... is the disk "noisy"?

Well the strangest thing. Apparently after running chkdsk, something got fixed because Java works now. Go figure...
Thanks for the suggestions :)

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. As far as Firefox goes, it is my wifes computer, and like other parts of the house, I don't tell her how to decorate them :)

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. As far as Firefox goes, it is my wifes computer, and like other parts of the house, I don't tell her how to decorate them :)

I understand Mike! :( Remember when my ex-girlfriend took 2 years loading Vista. I told her to put the old Windows visual theme, to make a bit more faster. It worked perfectly. Days later I saw her waiting again, and told me "I don't mind waiting, it was too ugly!" hahaha you can't contradict the boss!

PS: Forgot to told you, Fileassasin is great to delete the USB flash drives viruses or rebel documents, that show the disgusting "Another program is using the file" or "Windows needs this virus to work, so we will not allow you to delete it" witout rebooting or formating

Last edited:
Don't overeact. If that happens again, use Fileassasin to delete java.exe or the problematic software. Install it again, and you're done!

I suggest you to use Mozilla Firefox instead

File assasin
https://www.malwarebytes.org/fa-setup.exe

I am only basing that advice on prior experience of hard disks actual lifespan within my work environment (yes you guessed it - IT).

There are (I understand) two main causes for a HDD to fail, the controller (which is why i asked if the disk was noisy - or ticking) and impurities (if thats the right word) in the media.

If the latter is the case it would cause the symptoms that the OP mentioned, but you do need to bear in mind that if that was the case, whats to say that there was only one impurity? there may be a few others on currently unallocated parts of the disk waiting to be allocated by FAT\NTFS\EXT.

You could be right - I may be over reacting as I would consider the cost of losing business data higher perhaps than some locally saved desktop icons on a home laptop or some program.

Either way, I would at least recommend to anyone with a home computer to evaluate the RISKS of data loss against the ability to RECOVER from data loss.

All the best.

Mark

Last edited:
I'm Sorry Mark, did'nt wanted to sound rude (my english is still too crude), Neither as an expert on the topic. I was trying to say that a complete backup or emergency measures were not necessary according to the symptoms.

All media, without exception, has impurities, even brand new. Fortunetly, the HD includes an algorithm to ignore that sectors and mark them as unusable, and write elsewhere. The process is transparent, even the OS didn't know when that happens.

When the HD fails or start to fail, chunks of data dissapear, you can't find your files, and nasty blue screens of death appear. As you said. Strange sounds are also the cherry on the cake.

Now, consider the unstable and corruptable Internet Explorer, or Java (I mean, Java is great, I'm talking about the nasty message of "files are in use", "read only", stuff like that). As far as the OP said, only java was affected, not the personal files or whatever, so I discarded a HD failure at short therm, and diagnosed a inocuous software problem.

By the way, DVD's are cheap, so a backup is not a bad idea, even for healthy computers

Last edited:
Just an update. Some of your suspicions and warnings reared their ugly head today. As of yesterday my wifes PC began showing the BSOD. Each time it was a different .sys file. Tonight it just took a dump. The PC would boot up different each time. Once it wanted a BIOS setup, another time a boot CD. I went to setup, tried to boot from XP disk but PC would lock.

Turns out the uP fan is froze up and not working. The power supply fan is not working either. I allowed the PC to cool for several hours and it booted fine, so I think the thing was melting down. I need to replace a fan and maybe a supply, unless I can tear into the PC supply. May just be easier to replace the supply though as they are cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back