Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Erratic behaviour of SONY Radio -ICF SW7600GR

Status
Not open for further replies.

transistor495

Forum Supporter
Well, by now this problem is automatically corrected by the set itself. But I thought I would share it so that I can understand what is going on!

My PLL radio is almost 2yrs old and hasn't been used much and it looks very new in fact production condition.

I kept this set idle for around 3 months or so without using with batteries kept inside so that clock is running. 3 weeks ago I've taken this set with me and operated it on the supplied adapter(still battery inside), although this set doesn't perform nicely using an adapter.

From that day onwards it began to behave erratically, ie once turned on the display sometimes toggles between clock and frequency display(not supposed unless we press on 'Display' button to show time while on operation). After couple of minutes the set stops responding to any keys, so that one can't turn it off:(. After repeated tries with keypad it comes alive, again goes inactive. But the radio plays clearly once we get it to turned ON.

I tried almost all ways to reset it, ie removed batteries, kept without batteries for a day or couple of days, it doesn't help. So I finally fed up with this, taken to nearby authorized SONY service center.

The service person examined it(he first time sees this) and he found the 'ATTN' button ON. He turned it OFF. He got the keypad alive then and what he told is ' the 'attention' button was ON, so the radio was in 'attention' mode:). The radio again went to inactive mode in few minutes. I told him that 'ATTN' is for attenuator function and theres another button what he mean -that is 'HOLD'!

I thought I should never give this set to such an 'authorized' technician who doesn't even know about it? -I left there thinking that I better send it to some other service center.

From there onwards I kept this set idle for almost 2 weeks without even touching it with batteries removed. Yesterday I tried operating it again out of curiosity and found it is working fine now -both on adapter and batteries.

This is the story.

I was searching on net, somehow is it possible to 'reset' this set as my other Degen PLL radio has a very useful 'reset' button and I have used it couple of times when the set goes on hanged. I am not sure whether removing and re-inserting batteries would make the same 'reset' function to that radio..unfortunately there is no ways to reset this sony radio I found.

So what you guys think about this. What was happening? Is this suggests that this set obviously need a 'reset' function? I know it is not possible because this set is on production for so long and till now they never made it. It would have been a big shame/loss that if some technician opened it and replaced some parts(probably capacitors?) where the set actually has no problem at all, simply need a 'reset' which is not provided at all?

What actually a 'reset' function in a PLL radio do? Is that same like interrupting the powersupply temporarily? I hope not, because I believe it does some 'self cleaning' of it's chipset like 'firmware refresh' still not touching any of the preset memory.

By the way, this set is original Japan made. I have operated this set in a temperature range 20-30C always which should be fine.

Sorry for the long story line :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back