Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Equipment to investigate signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_C

I've done basic electronics and microcontrollers but I'd like a point in the right direction. What type of equipment should a newcomer consider to investigate the signals of existing electronics?

For example, my first project would be to try to decipher and understand the signals and pinouts on the vintage 20-year old autopilot on my boat. The autopilot consists of a central control box with connections for a heading compass, control head, and rudder position indicator. The rudder position unit's specs show a frequency of 3400Hz for center with +/- 20Hz for each degree of rudder angle. Can I verify that signal with an oscilloscope (never used one)? If so, what type? To save money, are the USB units that work with a PC a good option? Thanks.

This is the newest thing: A MSO Oscilloscope or Mixed Signal Oscilloscope. I'm not advocating it, but look at the pretty pictures: **broken link removed**

Some the MSO scopes analyze IR signals or I2C or SPI signals. The hard part is triggering on the I2C signals without at least a device to generate the trigger.

Analyzing may require you to store or download the recorded signals.

Analog scopes have no means to store, but MAY have the means to measure a periodic signal directly.
The next step was Storage oscilloscopes - Again no downloading usually.
Then there are Scopes that digitize and offer measurements such as cursurs, P-P voltage, frequency etc.
Now comes the MSO or Mixed Signal Scopes.

Bandwidth will cost you. A 1 MHz BW scope is going to cost a lot less than a 2 GHZ scope.
Very high frequency scopes use a 50 ohm input. That is NOT what you want. You want a 1 M input.

The range of inputs from say 50 mV/div to 500 uV/Div are all possible. Adding a x10, x100 or x500 probe increases the range.
In order to see the EDGE of a square wave properly at high frequency, the scope probes have to be compensated. A real scope includes a calibration signal and the prove itself has a variable capacitor that needs to be adjusted to square up the square wave.

USB might damage your computer. I would not operate one without a USB isolator.

Look around.

A USB digital scope and a Laptop makes a great portable data aquisition system, runs on batteries away from mains. Also good for slowly varying and intermittent signals, such as you will encounter in an autopilot. I have used mine to debug an aircraft autopilot while in flight...

there is a pretty good video on youtube called scopes for dopes thats got alot of info in it mainly for analogue scopes but much is relevant for any scope

How serious are you about electronics?

A scope will be the most useful piece of equipment that you own, and most likely the most expensive.

As other posters mentioned, basic USB-powered units can be had sometimes for as los as USD$100.

But eventually you will need the features and bandwidth of more expensive ones.

One thing I can tell you, based on painful experience: get at least a 2 channel scope; you'll outgrow a single channel rather quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back