EQU and CBLOCK and DEFINE

Status
Not open for further replies.

patricktran

Hi, I am confused with these 2.
The Equ is used for defining a register of general purpose. The Cblock is for a consecutive group of varialbes, and Define is for a pin of a port.
They are all confusing. Could someone please give me a clearer explanation?
Thanks alot.

equ- Define Assembler Constant.
four equ 4 ;assigned the numeric value of 4 to label four

cblock-Define a Block of Constants. ;Define a list of named constants. Each <label> is assigned a value of one higher than the previous <label>. The purpose of this directive is to assign address offsets to many labels. The list of names end when an endc directive is encountered.

#define-Define a Text Substitution Label ;This directive defines a text substitution string. Wherever <name> is encountered in the assembly code, <string> will be substituted.

Strongly recomend it to read the MPASM Assembler Help.
This are cut's from the HELP manual.

STEVE

Yeah, thanks csaba911. If I need a register to store a value, and this value can be changed over the program, and I see people use EQU. This is certainly not a constant, as it can be changed.
In assembly, I dont see a clear barrier between constant and varialbe, unlike in Java:
final private int i = constant i
private int i = variable i

You'll find that your code contains constant values that reappear over and over. In these cases, you can greatly improve the readability of your code by using constants.
If I need a register to store a value, and this value can be changed over the program, and I see people use EQU. This is certainly not a constant, as it can be changed.
Can you change the memory location once is ben set ?!
The location of the register is constant !
Code:
W      EQU     H'0000'
F      EQU     H'0001'
INDF   EQU     H'0000'
TMR0   EQU     H'0001'
PCL    EQU     H'0002'
STATUS EQU     H'0003'
FSR    EQU     H'0004'
PORTA  EQU     H'0005'
PORTB  EQU     H'0006'
The value here is CONSTANT
Code:
movf    tmr0,w
or
movf    tmr0,indf ; have the same result, because their value is =0
You can write
Code:
movwf     0x20 ;mov the content of W to memory 0x20
movf      0x20,0 ;get the value of mem 0x20 and move it to the W reg
;or
temp_var  equ    0x20 ;memory location "constant value"
movwf     temp_var ;mov the content of W to memory temp_var =0x20
movf      temp_var,w ;get the value of mem temp_var=0x20 and move it to the W=0 reg
If you have 30 mem address, thing can get out of hand easy if you try to remember all the mem location by their addres.

#define control 0x19,7
control is = address 0x19 bit 7

Maybe I can't explane to you, but at least I know how to use them.

STEVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…