Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Envelope Detector +fiber optic

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

I'm building an SCR based powersupply and I'm working through some of the control circuitry at the moment. I have it breadboarded and it works fine, now I need to modify it a bit.
The supply is for a tesla coil and I'd like to be able to control it from a safe distance. I could just keep the supply at a remote location and run the output straight to the coil, but I'd rather not have to haul the supply around.

I'm planning on using a 50' fiber optic cable for the firing angle control. The problem lies with the fiber optic reciever which has a minimum frequency of ~200kHz. My plan is to take the 120Hz variable width from the original circuit and 'and' it with a higher frequency signal. then use an envelope detector on the other end to just get the variable width signal out.

Does it look like it will work?

Attachments

• envelope_detector.gif
    envelope_detector.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 180
  • my_circuit.gif
    my_circuit.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 165
That should work, but you don't really need a diode, just a low pass filter on the input of the transistor will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back