Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Enquiry abt engineering mathematics

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermaine

Hello,

Any one knows where to get detailed and understandable notes on infinite Sequences and Series?
Defining whether a series is convergence or divergence, and function like power series, Taylor,Maclaurin and binomial series...
The word "infinity" is making me confused...Is it a "0"

Infinity is a concept, the concept of a quantity greater than any number. Zero is also a concept, note that the Roman Numeral system had no symbol for zero because the concept had not been realized. Mathmaticlly, 0*infinity = N where N is any number (since it can be any number, 1 is usually chosen).

Zero as a multiplier ?

I thought any number times ZERO was zero ?
after all NO millions doesn't make you very rich !

shermaine
You appear to be talking mostly degree level maths here but I thought infinity was a simple concept to describe a quantity that 'went on for ever', such as time or space; neither have a known limit.
The symbol to use is a '8' on its side, like two overlapping zeros, sort of 'oo' but without the white space between them.

Try a book like Engineering Mathematics or even Further Engineering Mathematics, both by K.A. Stroud and published by Macmillan.
**broken link removed**

a series is the sum of a sequence.

an infinte series is the sum of a sequence that doesn't ever stop (has an
infinite number of terms)

example
( _ will mean "subscript")

consider the sequence

a_n=n

means the nth term of the sequence = the term number

a_1=1
a_2=2
etc...

SUM_0^infinty a_n is the infinte series related to the sequence a_n

the study of this series is only important if it converges, which is determined by a number of tests (nth term test, p-series test, ratio test (by far the MOST important)

these explanations are much more lengthy buy can be found in any calculus book. i would recommend a calculus book before an engineering mathmatics book.

good luck!

feel free to contact me at doriad@rpi.edu if you have further questions

david

Infinity depends upon the application in question.

For example, if you are taking a photo, if the subject is more than a few metres away, then the lens is set to infinity.

An example from electronics is the charge / discharge of a capacitor.

The usual approximation is that 5 time constants is near enough to infinity. So if the TC = 1 uS, then > 5 uS is infinity.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back