Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Enhanced K149BC Compatible with MPLAB

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3141

Hi, I am new to the forum. :D

Was wondering if I could get some help with connecting the above USB programmer to MPLAB.

I have installed the virtual serial port drivers, and the pic is on com port 8.

But how do get MPLAB to connect to the programmer?

Cheers,

David.

All the kitsrus.com USB PIC programmers use their own proprietary software. I have never heard of any other software being compatible with them, including MPLAB. That's not to say it's not possible, but it would require that whoever made the software (such as MPLAB) had taken the time to do the programming to implement the programmers... and since their own software and programmer firmware has gone through so many revisions, I wouldn't expect programmers of other software to want to try to keep up, since unlike many of the serial and parallel port programmers, the computer does not have direct control of the programming lines on the PIC, instead it must send appropriate data to the onboard microcontroller which handles the actual programming, so interfacing requires using their proprietary (and subject to change) protocol.

I do like that series of USB PIC programmers because they're an inexpensive way to free yourself from serial or parallel ports, which not all computers have anymore, but being stuck with only their provided software is a downside. It's not terrible, it's got most all the features I would want, but it does have some minor issues (ie - unplug the programmer while the program is open and it freezes)

you can set up their programming software so that it automatically re-loads the HEX file before programming, and doesn't give you any prompts before programming, so that you can simply compile the program in your chosen compiler (such as MPLAB) and then switch to the programming software, and just hit "program". still not as convenient as having it built-in to the IDE, but at least only having to press one button is better than having to go through numerous steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back