Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Engine temperature monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioniC187

Hey okes,
can someone direct me to a page that i can use to determine what thermistor(partl number) to get for the cylinder of my car? i want to monitor the temp on my own, i just don't know what model thermistor to get. Or if someone can recomend a part that will have the range necessary for a cylinder head.
Thanks

generally the engine shouldn't go over 180F ,or 82C..So if you get a thermistor it should be in the 212F or 100C range..

As for a part number unless you know what type of meter your using it could be a 101-104 or a temp sensor LM335/LM35 or a DS18B20

there's no point getting a sender unit or making one unless you know what and how the sender interface's with the meter.

And if your measuring cylinder temp at the exhaust manifold you need a pyrometer..a little different 400-800deg C

It will only be on my cylinder head :) How strong is the package? Asking coz i wanna know how to mount it? could i use pratley steel, and just stick it on?

Last edited:
An lm35 would be a sensible choice, its not a thermistor it provides a volatge out per degrees c, an op amp and a lcd/panel meter would do the trick, you could epoxy it into a crimp lug terminal and screw it to summat.
You can get proper bolt on sensors for the job, primarily intended for air cooled bike engines that often dont come with a temp guage.

Last edited:
generally the engine shouldn't go over 180F ,or 82C..So if you get a thermistor it should be in the 212F or 100C range..

As for a part number unless you know what type of meter your using it could be a 101-104 or a temp sensor LM335/LM35 or a DS18B20

there's no point getting a sender unit or making one unless you know what and how the sender interface's with the meter.

And if your measuring cylinder temp at the exhaust manifold you need a pyrometer..a little different 400-800deg C

My 2000 Astra runs at between 80 degrees C and 95 degrees C.
My 2012 VW Golf GT TDI runs and is maintained at a constant 90 degrees C with the engine oil running at between 80 and 120 degrees C.

There are plenty of auto thermistor sending units. They are carbon based thermistor, each specific to a model car and its gauge. They are usually pretty rugged and take pretty high pressure.

If you can take a bolt that matches the thread size of your car you might be able to get an autoparts store to search for several that fit. You can independently calibrate a given thermistor with cooking oil on the stove, with an accurate thermometer and ohm meter. You should calibrate it from room temp to about 260 degrees F.

I did this exact thing for thermistors I used in a solar hot water heater.

If he's gonna measure cylinder head temperature (CHT), it will be a lot warmer than the coolant temperature. CHT gauges are readily available with giant ring terminal sensors. I'm sure the thermocouple and it's mount are available separately. I don't know if a thermistor will work well or not. CHT displays are common on propeller (piston) planes.

Automotive sensors are not known for their accuracy. They are cheap though.

If he's gonna measure cylinder head temperature (CHT), it will be a lot warmer than the coolant temperature. CHT gauges are readily available with giant ring terminal sensors made to mount under a cylinder head bolt. I'm sure the thermocouple and it's mount are available separately. I don't know if a thermistor will work well or not. CHT displays are common on propeller (piston) planes.

Automotive sensors are not known for their accuracy. They are cheap though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back