Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Encoder switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThermalRunaway

Hi all,

The Stereo in my living room developed a fault last night. No matter which way you turn the volume control, it always goes up! My Sister turned it frantically in panic and, once FULL volume had been reached, she simply ran away from it. I came running down the stairs and hit the off button, and a glass in my wall unit had smashed!!!

So I've had the thing apart and I've taken the top of the encoder switch off. It was all dirty in there so I cleaned it up with my fibre pen. They use some grease inside the switch to give it a viscous feel, anyone know what type of grease they use for this? I've got a tub of grease here but I was afraid it'd effect the conductivity so I haven't applied any.

Brian

This is the first one I've done. The failure is similar to the problems you get with mode-switches in older VCRs. I have done loads of those.

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
This is the first one I've done. The failure is similar to the problems you get with mode-switches in older VCRs. I have done loads of those.

Yes, similar effect - I've change hundreds (perhaps thousands?) of mode switches in the past.

I don't suppose you know where I could obtain a laser for an Aiwa Hifi? I seem to remember that SONY bought them out? There's no such thing as Aiwa anymore. The laser is working but it's... "iffy".

I wonder if a google search of the part number will turn up anything.

ThermalRunaway said:
I don't suppose you know where I could obtain a laser for an Aiwa Hifi? I seem to remember that SONY bought them out? There's no such thing as Aiwa anymore. The laser is working but it's... "iffy".

Aiwa were long mostly owned by Sony, but weren't able to run profitably, eventually Sony closed them down as a seperate company, and Aiwa is now just a sub-brand of Sony - although you never seem to see much Aiwa stuff about anymore.

But in any case, almost all lasers come from Sony anyway, there should be a number on it like KSSxxx - common ones been KSS150 (now obselete - replaced by KSS210), KSS210, KSS213, KSS240.

I'm familiar with KSS part numbers on lasers, but I wasn't aware they were all Sony parts (I've never worked on Sony stuff before)

Thanks for your help Nigel.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back