Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Enameled wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

How do you strip the enamel off the wires in order to solder it to the board? I usually do it with a razor blade but I'm sure there's a better way.

I always use a fine sandpaper to get it done. I'd imagine there's some fancy chemical that could do the same.

Yeah digitan, I'll bet that there is a chemical :lol:

Thanks for the ideas, I'll give 'em a shot

zachtheterrible said:
How do you strip the enamel off the wires in order to solder it to the board? I usually do it with a razor blade but I'm sure there's a better way.
Some types of enamel are designed to be burned off at the temperature of molten solder (e.g. Beldsol from Belden). OTOH, some are not. Have you tried it?

I Don't believe there are Any Chemicals for stripping that Enamel. In over 40 years I haven't seen any.

The Transformer Manufacturers mostly use the wire with Low Temperature Insulation and a Solder Pot to burn off the Insulation and Tin the wire.

There are also some Speciality type Tools that will remove this insulation.
But there expensive for what they do. There Sort of like a battery operated pencil sharpner, but with centrifical force grinding wheels to remove the insulation. They will work with wire sizes as small as about a 28 AWG.

chemelec said:
The Transformer Manufacturers mostly use the wire with Low Temperature Insulation and a Solder Pot to burn off the Insulation and Tin the wire.
A blob of solder on the tip of your iron will also work for small jobs.

BEst bet, dont use it if you can. To this day I have yet to get the hang of enameled wire, at work we have hte type that solder will burn through but I cannot even handle that stuff

Styx said:
BEst bet, dont use it if you can. To this day I have yet to get the hang of enameled wire, at work we have hte type that solder will burn through but I cannot even handle that stuff
Styx, I don't mean to offend you, but are you all thumbs? :?
I can't understand what the problem is. And what would you use for multi-layer coils (such as electromagnets)?

I tried using a lighter flame on the end of my inductor wires, i tried using a soldering iron, i tried sandpaper, but the only thing that works best is the razor blade. Its still awkward trying to rotate the little wire around and getting the blade in to get every inch of it to scrape scrape scrape!!

Megamox

Ron H said:
Styx said:
Styx, I don't mean to offend you, but are you all thumbs? :?
I can't understand what the problem is. And what would you use for multi-layer coils (such as electromagnets)?

Err, I just really hate working with the stuff, the 28AWG and higher

i use a paint/varnish stripper just dip the piece in for 10-20m seconds then take out and wipe with cloth nice and clean and it doesnt damage the wire
(i confess before this i used a sisscor blade)

since I dont have any sandpaper i used a lighter to burn the enamel black and then used steel wool to get the black off. worked pretty good.

back in the day i tried soldering it without ever taking the enamel off! obviously it didnt work. ill have to try paint stripper

monkeytree said:
i use a paint/varnish stripper just dip the piece in for 10-20m seconds then take out and wipe with cloth nice and clean and it doesnt damage the wire
(i confess before this i used a sisscor blade)
Thanks, monkeytree. That is a very cool idea. :!: :D
I guess this is obvious. You have to be very careful not to get stripper anywhere else on the wire, or you might have a short develop later.

Eh Zac,
Just head down to the local hardware store and buy a sheet of wet and dry paper, go for the 360 grade and one sheet will see you out for years. The paper should only cost about 50 cents and the beauty is the more you use it the fine grade it becomes.

Cheers Bryan :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back