Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

emp device

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends. These sorts of projects are generally discouraged for a wide variety of reasons.

Most homemade EMP devices built by the everyday hobbyist are only designed to garble small LCD displays such as on calculators, and things like that. The amount of power necessary to do this is ridiculously high in most cases, and its inefficiency forces most people to just drop it and find a better project. That is really what I recommend to you--Find a different project.

If you plan on making a bigger one to destroy property or prank people, you border on the illegal there, plus it is far more difficult, if not impossible, to get a noticeable output.

So my personal advice: Just don't do it. It's not worth the time, effort, or money.

Is there another project you could work on instead? I can't imagine you would be forced to work on a project that is so inefficient, expensive, and/or dangerous.

After speaking with you briefly in chat I see that you do not actually need to build an EMP device. What you need is to devise a way to prevent from electromagnetic pulses. All you have to do is put a faraday cage around the product and it will ground the pulses, meaning your product is completely protected against EMPs.

Well you're not going to be able to build an EMP device that would have any real effect without spending thousands of dollars. Simply do all you can do to protect it (grounding the case or putting a grounded shield around it), explain to your client that there is no real way for the average person to test it, but based on science it should be safe. There's not really anything else you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back