Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Embedded breathalyzer module

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusttree

I'm helping a friend build a prototype for a project that involves a breathalyzer. I've been looking around for a distributor that sells a breathalyzer module that is designed to be incorporated into an embedded project. Not having much luck so far. So far, the closest thing I've found is stuff like this. It's a replacement part for a commercially-sold breathalyzer. I might be able to eventually reverse-engineer it, but without a datasheet, I could be wasting a lot of time. Similarly, I could just buy a breathalyzer off the shelf and attempt to reverse engineer it.

There are tons of breathalyzer products out there. Surely there are companies that just make the module inside? Has anyone seen anything like that for sale, or know where I could look? So far, I've come up with nothing from Google and I don't really know where else to look.

Thanks!

Sigh..... never fails. Seconds after writing that post, Google decides to show me:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8880

However, that unit may not be the highest quality instrument. My original question of where would an industry professional look for a breathalyzer module still stands.

Note: I suspect that many commercially available breathalyzer products may be produced entirely in house (alcohol sensor, electronics, and enclosure), so their modules would never be available on the open marker. But surely that's not true for ALL modules.

Check out the chart in this attachment. You may want to do specificity studies for vinegar breath, etc. In particular, diabetics (not well controlled) may give false positives from the acetone in their breath on occasion.

While benzene is pretty rare in people's breath, acetone, ethyl acetate, primary amines (fish odor), acetic acid (vinegar), and so forth do occur.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back