Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Elon Musk debuts the Tesla Powerwall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try to keep this knowledge post on top as much as possible.
If I fail too bad. At least I tried. Elon is not a dreamer or free energy person.

He has the facts. No more bumps from me to attract attention to the Video/Presentation.

See it or leave it. Maybe think about it.

Regards,
tv

Thanks for sharing, tvtech

Hmm, how long does a battery supply last in a typical home. How much does a solar panel installation cost to fill that battery (for night time) AND run your house every day? $3500 is the tip of the proverbial iceberg here. That batt. better be recyclable if they have to make 100M per year.

Good idea, now comes the hard part. Economics.

Hmm, how long does a battery supply last in a typical home. How much does a solar panel installation cost to fill that battery (for night time) AND run your house every day? $3500 is the tip of the proverbial iceberg here. That batt. better be recyclable if they have to make 100M per year.

Good idea, now comes the hard part. Economics.

So a system to go off the grid if you don't use electricity for heating will be about $25,000. If you are setting up in a location where you have to pay for power lines this is a good deal. This is not a "toy for the rich", it's the next step. Cars and home electricity were not affordable to everyone the year they appeared either. This is at a price point where the people it benefits most may choose it and as it's adopted the price will drop.

Also, they are recyclable, you can reclaim almost all of the lithium.

Last edited:
So a system to go off the grid if you don't use electricity for heating will be about $25,000. If you are setting up in a location where you have to pay for power lines this is a good deal. This is not a "toy for the rich", it's the next step. Cars and home electricity were not affordable to everyone the year they appeared either. This is at a price point where the people it benefits most may choose it and as it's adopted the price will drop.

Also, they are recyclable, we always recycle them, you can reclaim almost all of the lithium.

Perhaps WHEN you install yours you will enlighten us as to how much you're saving and how much use you're getting out of things like, Clothes dryer, pool pump, electric range, hot water heater, A/C in summer, etc etc.
Oh, and what if you own a Tesla too, let us know if you can still charge it!

Wow, this is just awesome. Battery research has been neglected, relative to battery powered technology anyway. Someone needed to do something drastic, and its a clever move on Tesla's side to push to advance not only batteries for their vehicles (which has a very small market right now), but also for utility power as well. Really provides a good market base to push their product, which in turn funds their research.

Definitely a lot more to it all though, still need your panels, inverter (I know Google was pushing hard for a much smaller and more efficient inverter design **broken link removed** ) etc.
But either way, this is a great start and very exciting.

...This guy is pretty darn inspiring as well.

Perhaps WHEN you install yours you will enlighten us as to how much you're saving and how much use you're getting out of things like, Clothes dryer, pool pump, electric range, hot water heater, A/C in summer, etc etc.
Oh, and what if you own a Tesla too, let us know if you can still charge it!

I live in an apartment, so I would probably be a stage 3 adopter. My dad's ranch however might be able to make good use of one, he has frequent power failures and doesn't have electricity on remote parts of his cattle land. But you may be right, doubters are always right until they're not.

And no, I can't charge an 85KWh Tesla Model S from a 10 KWh battery. You can't run a hotel resort from a 1000 gallon water tank either, so I guess no one should have a windmill filled water tank, except that millions of people do.

Wow, this is just awesome. Battery research has been neglected, relative to battery powered technology anyway. Someone needed to do something drastic, and its a clever move on Tesla's side to push to advance not only batteries for their vehicles (which has a very small market right now), but also for utility power as well. Really provides a good market base to push their product, which in turn funds their research.

Definitely a lot more to it all though, still need your panels, inverter (I know Google was pushing hard for a much smaller and more efficient inverter design **broken link removed** ) etc.
But either way, this is a great start and very exciting.

...This guy is pretty darn inspiring as well.

Someone has to push boundaries. Someone has to simply do stuff. Someone has to do this..
Otherwise we will all sit back later and wonder where all went wrong :eek:

Very few people out there that have the backbone to put "balls to the wall". All or nothing. I like people like that. Maybe because I mostly understand what they are trying to do.

Me, I am Mickey Mouse compared to Elon Musk and Tesla. And batteries.
Me poor. Elon wealthy. Thinking is the same though. Make things better. However humble the way I do it. Brain basically works the same.

Agh :banghead:. I do not know how to explain it.

Regards,
tv

Last edited:
Elon Musk is a visionary.

This may or may not work, in terms of cost effectiveness. The important thing is he is trying to solve a real world problem. It is a start.

It may not be within the average persons budget or space limitations. But he is trying to make a difference.

I applaud the effort. Time will tell.

Not to plod on...but yes most people here want to tell or rather give Eskom the middle finger. Those of us that that know the delights of Civilization don't want to be driven back to cooking on fires and well....back using to using candles again...

But, things, are not looking good.

I am spoiled. So be it. Enough.

Regards,
tv

I don't want to give him the finger because he's doing great things but IMO this 'Powerwall' is just not one of them at the residential arena. There is a pretty narrow window of rate shifting in states with a large differential where it breaks even before the 9 year battery life warranty with max power shifting but you can bet your last nickel the utilities will find a way to defeat that little edge if it becomes popular. If you're completely off-grid there are long term battery systems that are a better fit (48vdc bank systems) for solar/wind/hydro than a 'Blackbox' Powerwall system. If rich people want to subsidize Elon Musk and his research, great but I can't become a fan boy of this Tech because of it.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...new-battery-doesn-t-work-that-well-with-solar

Utilities are already lobbying (and getting) modification(s) to "buy-back" legislation that allows them to reduce the mandated $ they pay out per returned KW. That, or they ask and get rate increases without a corresponding increase in the buy-back.

Of course their reasoning is that infrastructure maintenance suffers with the current deals because those customers with excess alternate energy pay nothing (under most current laws) for that infrastructure when it's used to sell their juice.

Seems like a valid argument.

If nothings else, both efforts by the utilities will greatly extend any possible break even point, possibly by decades, for anyone other than the "greens with means".

Imho, until fusion can be successfully tamed and exploited, energy generation (forget storage) is going to be a severe problem in the not so distant future.

I guess that says' it all. Another adopted and left behind Tech.

kv.

Echo:

We shouldn't go green till we can get rid of the current garbage we have created and now need to spend millions to store and millions on healthcare risk.

Why should I care. I don't have the millions to lose going green. I just have to pay my fair share for creating it. Wait, what part of that is my fair share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back