Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ELM327 for OBD2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hello,

Recently i found out that there is a specialized processor used for OBD2 that allows us to send all kinds of commands to the car ECU. I dont know that much about it yet, except that it seems to act as a bridge between the car ECU and something like a computer terminal.
So to execute a command, we would send something like an AT command plus other bytes that are appropriate for what we are doing.

So the way it normally works is the ELM device would plug into the OBD2 connector, then a PC computer such as a laptop would plug into the ELM device, and you can send commands with the software in the laptop or PC.

What i wanted to do was use a microcontroller to send the command, so it would be a stand alone device without the need for a laptop or PC.

I found that there might be an ELM327 with an RS232 interface, so you could send the ELM device commands over RS232 from a microcontroller, and the ELM device would translate into actual ECU command and active the required module or device.
In my case one example is the "Service Light". This is not the same as the CEL (check engine light) but a reminder light that tells you when to get the oil changed for example. The ELM interface and PC or laptop or uC would be able to shut that light off, as there is no other way to do it in some cars, believe it or not.

So the thing i wanted to ask is, does anyone here have any experience with the ELM327 and RS232 interface ?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back