Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electrostatic Discharge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandy_110

I have a 5 port ethernet switch with metal shielded RJ45 jacks. and yesterday I touched its metal shielded RJ45 jack accidentally and beqause I had electrostatic charge a spark produced. I want to know that did this harm the device although it's functioning now.
sorry for my poor english.

if u touched the metal shield, which im assuming is on the outside of the case, and therefore grounded, no, there wouldnt be any damage.

if you touched the circuitry, that might be a whole different story :shock:

Dear zachtheterrible,
the switch is CNSH-500 from CNet and it is not grounded. also I don't know how can I ground it. If you know please inform me.
many thanks for your reply.
this is the rear view of the switch:
**broken link removed**

mandy_110 said:
Dear zachtheterrible,
the switch is CNSH-500 from CNet and it is not grounded. also I don't know how can I ground it. If you know please inform me.
many thanks for your reply.
this is the rear view of the switch:
**broken link removed**

I shouldn't worry about it, you are using it as it was designed, you shouldn't have any problems.

The circuit is proboly in a metal box (sheld) wich proboly got the static charge awey from the circuit (so there is proboly no damege)

Built in:

6 Channel EMI Pi-Filter Array with ESD Protection

or

10 Line EMI Filter

Or

Other discrete or active transient voltage suppression

The interconnect cables have a built in foil layer shield or ground reference this is connected to ground referance at the hub at both ends of the interconnect the item is connected to earth ground though the ground referance of the computers Mother boards form factor, this is why it is important to use metal standoffs as the case structure is then grounded through the power supply case structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back