Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronics starting tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basic tools are:
1. Multimeter either analog or digital
2. Good quality Soldering iron and iron stand.
3. Solder sucker
4. Screwdriver sets
5. Pliers
6. utility knife
7. Soldering lead
6. Electronics components for practice testing.

Some other items:

bread board for assembling and testing your circuits
proto-typing boards for final assembly
It doesn't hurt to have some solder braid as well.

Last edited:
Don't forget the cutters! Buy some good quality flush cutters for PCB work. A skilled person can strip wire with cutters. Since you are a noob, add strippers too. ;)
For the multimeter, I would go digital as it doesn't load the circuit like an analog one will and is more forgiving as far as being driven over range is concerned.
Add a power supply. Even a wallwart is better than buying batteries all the time.

Last edited:
Do you have a list of Electronics components for practice testing?

Basic tools are:
1. Multimeter either analog or digital
2. Good quality Soldering iron and iron stand.
3. Solder sucker
4. Screwdriver sets
5. Pliers
6. utility knife
7. Soldering lead
6. Electronics components for practice testing.

Do you have a list of Electronics components for practice testing?

Toprank, it would help if you put your location into your User CP (link in the upper right area) so that people have an idea of where to send you to get things.

Resistors and capacitors. They often come in packs with tape strips of various common values; I have found it useful to buy these packs.

Get some 2N3904 or 2N2222A transistors, some LEDs, and a wall wart or two. It's easier to not have to switch batteries all the time.

Also, I find that a good breadboard with binding posts for power is helpful.

Torben

thanks and profile updated.

Toprank, it would help if you put your location into your User CP (link in the upper right area) so that people have an idea of where to send you to get things.

Resistors and capacitors. They often come in packs with tape strips of various common values; I have found it useful to buy these packs.

Get some 2N3904 or 2N2222A transistors, some LEDs, and a wall wart or two. It's easier to not have to switch batteries all the time.

Also, I find that a good breadboard with binding posts for power is helpful.

Torben

Some alligator clips will come in handy as well. You can use them as heat sinks when soldering heat sensitive components, as well as making jumper wires out of them. They come in various sizes, you should get an assortment.

There is also a little contraption known as "helping hands" which is made up of alligator clips mounted on small steel arms which are in turn mounted on an iron stand, a magnifying glass is also mounted to one of the arms. You can adjust the positions of the clips, magnifier, etc. Most useful for holding stuff in position to solder etc.

Oh, and don't forget to pick up a few flux capacitors :D

Last edited:
go buy electronic hobby kit after you have all the tools mentioned.. hehehe

I use ALL the above, they are all good answers. Especially th breadboard, saves you heaps in veroboartd and much easier to make changes to.

I would add a scope if you had a lot of funds, but it isn't critical to a real beginner, though useful nonetheless.

Also I use a computer and editor for writing microprocessor code. The Picaxe range is very easy to use and designed for beginners. You can use a USB or serial port and be programming simple things in minutes.

Otherwise, the things listed above should be largely buyable for under $A100. My meter does everything, including frequency meter, capacitiance meter, inductance as well as th usual ranges and cost $40. At that price you can afford to blow up th odd one (forgettting to switch leads after reading th current range). And even thats fused and saves th meter.

thanks i will be getting all of the above..

what type of programming board or development kit do you guys recommend for me?

Last edited:
thanks i will be getting all of the above..

what type of programming board or development kit do you guys recommend for me?

Something in the PIC family seems to be the weapon of choice for most.:D

got it off ebay. you can type in breadboard to see if there is another one. I will check with the guy I got it from to see also, If he has another one I will PM you.

Source ? ...

The 16F88 is a nice chip to start with but I would suggest the 18F1320.

got it off ebay. you can type in breadboard to see if there is another one. I will check with the guy I got it from to see also, If he has another one I will PM you.
:) I was just curious. The ones I ordered have already arrived.

EDIT: The price on these things has come down a lot. I ordered the 840 tie point boards from Pololu for $4.50 each(Quan 10+). I was thinking that was a good buy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back