Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronics project for blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect most of us participating in this forum are sighted. Thus, our perspective on what would be useful to the blind may not be very accurate.

Have you visited with blind people or with individuals/agencies that provide services to the blind?

Can you consider projects that might be useful to those with severe visual impairment, but who are not completely blind, such as people with diabetic retinopathy?

John

Yes, check with actual blind people - look for a forum. We looked into doing a sonic cane one time, only to discover they had been tried before (more than once) and the people they were intended to help didn't like them.

I looked into that a few times. I wanted to make a tactile grid so a person could feel a video picture on their forehead or abdomen. You would want to process the video so that only outlines would be displayed, door frame, chair, etc. Small electrical pulses from a wire mesh won't work because you don't just feel it at the wire intersections. I thought of little solenoids, like from a dot matrix printer or piezo vibrators but any kind of decent resolution would get heavy and sweat would gum up the works. 320 x 240 resolution would require 76800 solenoids or piezo vibrators. Only a robot could wire that thing.
But don't let me stop you. It kept my brain occupied for a while.
Good luck.

What about ultrasonic obstacle prevent shoes?

I was thinking along the same lines. A audio beep/tone like reverse parking indicators on a car that give you relative distance from an object you are pointing the device at.

I remember a project request long time before here asking for a -distance meter with buzzer integrated onto a walking stick.

I suspect most of us participating in this forum are sighted. Thus, our perspective on what would be useful to the blind may not be very accurate.

Have you visited with blind people or with individuals/agencies that provide services to the blind?

Can you consider projects that might be useful to those with severe visual impairment, but who are not completely blind, such as people with diabetic retinopathy?

John

thanks to all for your reply...
hi jpanhalt my father is blind. So i don't need to go anywhere to check this. i found they have mainly two difficulties...
1. obstacle.
2. man made hole on road.
for obstacle i design a ultrasonic obstacle detector.
but for man made hole, i can't get any logic yet.

Yes, check with actual blind people - look for a forum. We looked into doing a sonic cane one time, only to discover they had been tried before (more than once) and the people they were intended to help didn't like them.

thanks duffy.
i designed an ultrasonic obstacle detection up to 4 meters. i want to do further implementation...

I looked into that a few times. I wanted to make a tactile grid so a person could feel a video picture on their forehead or abdomen. You would want to process the video so that only outlines would be displayed, door frame, chair, etc. Small electrical pulses from a wire mesh won't work because you don't just feel it at the wire intersections. I thought of little solenoids, like from a dot matrix printer or piezo vibrators but any kind of decent resolution would get heavy and sweat would gum up the works. 320 x 240 resolution would require 76800 solenoids or piezo vibrators. Only a robot could wire that thing.
But don't let me stop you. It kept my brain occupied for a while.
Good luck.

hi clydecrashkop...
u have given me good idea but i can't understand well.

Just a thought.

I believe laser canes use a high beam and a lower beam to detect objects of various distance. This way they are able to distinguish objects that may be at waist level and up and others that may be closer waist level and down. For example a open manhole or construction barricade.

So looking at the shoe, how would one gain enough forward signal or vertical height to prevent a person walking into an open hole. when a average shoe is only 6 inches high and the sole is about 1"? I feel they would have insufficient warning to prevent an accident.

I may be wrong but shoes would only be able to detect proximity to vertical objects such as doors, cupboards. Not open hole obstructions. This would also be compounded by speed of walking.

I'm not saying it can't be done. Just that many things must be considered when safety of a human is involved.

Good luck with your endeavour I shall follow with anticipation of success.

Chirps of ultrasound. Measure the return phase which is proportional to distance from the object.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back