Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronics Noob...........needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

metomeya

Okay I want to build a negative ionizer(click here for instructions), but the more I look into the more I realize I don't know what i'm doing.

"Used to be lots of articles in Elektor, Popular Electronics and Radio
Electronics. The simplest one was a 120V to 400V step-up power
transformer followed by a voltage multiplier (about 20 stages)
using 800 V 1N4008 diodes and 0.1 uF 630V film capacitors. The emitter
was the typical sharp needle. By the way, back when I was doing this, I
found that living plants made really good emitters with no discernible
ozone production. Just put the plant pot on a good insulator and bury the
negative probe in the dirt. The water evaporation helped release the
ions. Sharp, pointy leaves worked best. "

Can anyone help me to show what they are talking about here?

Also I'm starting to realize I really wanna learn about electronics, whats a good place to start? Is there a easy job that I could take to help me learn this stuff? A continuing education class at my community college?

thx

Last edited:
I'd suggest finding a less-deadly project to start with. Something in the <10V area would be good. Maybe something with LEDs would be a good place to start.
Once you start to understand electronics alittle more, then maybe attempt this project.

Ya, I'm starting to see what you mean, but jrz126, but can someone atleast break down what they are talking about?

Also any help on where to being? Are there any good electronics magainzes out there? Is Popular Electronics and Radio a good one?

metomeya said:
Ya, I'm starting to see what you mean, but jrz126, but can someone atleast break down what they are talking about?

Not sure which bit you dont understand, but here goes....

"Negative ions," molecules with an excess of electrons.

"120V to 400V step-up power transformer," provides isolation and a reasonably high voltage from the mains supply. As 120V is mentioned I guess the article originated in the USA, certainly not in Europe.

"voltage multiplier (about 20 stages)," 20 times 400v gives 8000volts.

"using 800 V 1N4008 diodes and 0.1 uF 630V film capacitors." The components used to build the multiplier (needs 20 of each).

"The emitter was the typical sharp needle." Sharp pointed things concentrate the electric charge, making it easier to ionise the air molecules.

"with no discernible ozone production, " ozone (tri-atomic oxygen) is produced when air (or at least the oxygen) is ionised. Ozone is bad for you!

OK, does that help?

metomeya said:
Also any help on where to being? Are there any good electronics magainzes out there? Is Popular Electronics and Radio a good one?
Depends on where you are in the world. That is why there is a "Location" box which can be filled in on the registration page.

JimB

More or less, still need to learn a lot more electronics before i completely understand what you just said.

Can I buy a 120v to 400v step? Those voltage multiplies, and diodes? I googled but couldn't find any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back