Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronics noob need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc80

Hi all, i'm new in this forum...
as written at topic, i'm a total noob about electronic...
i need helps from u guys and i guess its an easy snap for u guys to sort this out..
here i attached pictures of a back-ache handy massage device...
just bought it and thought of trying it...
i plug it and turn on the switch...
there goes some burnt smells right after the switch on...
found out its written 100V (small enough for me to ignore it) at the device while the house plug curent 220V/240V(if not mistaken)...
i didnt know it needs a convertor..

now i've open it but i don't recognise anything at all...
i borrowed a soldering gun...solder off the motor that attached with two wire (one red and one black) at the board...the motor is too heavy and clumsy...
so i just part it out...
how can i repair it? where do i start?
is it possible to make it 220/240V?
i got a test meter..but don't know how to use it...:eek::eek:

please help...

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Thanks in advance.
regards

You destroyed it by connecting it to a voltage that is much too high.
100V is used in Japan. The manufacturer in Japan might have parts for it to be used only in Japan.

I don't think you can easilly repair it, this sort of damage tends so cost more to repair than it does to buy a new device.

To operate a 100V appliance from 230V you need a transformer which could be very heavy.

oh...ok..means the rapairing is not possible which i might as well get a new one...thanks..

How much did it cost in the first place?

What's the power consumption?

I've Googled the datasheet for the TRIAC and it's rated for 500V so I don't think it's damaged, I don't know about C1, it looks alright so I suspect the motor burnt out in which case it probably isn't worth reparing.

hehe....correct...and admited...i'm a noob about these...
it cost me about $150...shipping $28.
at least if i get to reapair, and will run it with a "transformer"(?)..

Just make sure the transformer has a high enough power rating or it will die too.

Hero999: thanks..will make sure this time before i buy anything...:eek:

bananasiong: i cant see any label on motor.
the bottom is being covered by an IC board.
have a feeling of "buying another one will solve the problem"...:eek::eek:

Also beware of the power factor, it's the current drawn not the true power that counts.

For example, if your transformer is rated to 100VA (1A at 100V) and the motor has a rating of 100W but a power factor of only 0.5 the current would be 2A which would kill the transformer. In this example to power the motor without damaging the transformer you would need a 200AV transformer.

Power factor is a common thing that nubes overlook when selecting the power rating of AC things like transformers.

Power factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Power Factor for AC Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back