Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronics newbie needs help with alarm circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantum Flux

I'm very amateur at electronics. I'd like to construct an alarm that is basically a continuity alarm. It is two alarms in one and each is activated by the computer closing a circuit on a 9 pin serial port. The alarm can be muted by pushing the button, at which point that circuit is earthed through a flasher LED rather than the buzzer. Since the two alarms share the same buzzer, I have added a voltage regulator to it so it always receives the same power whether one or two alarms are active. There are a number of resistors which will need to be added for various components ofcourse. The whole assembly will be contained in and ABS project box and mounted onto a 1 rack unit panel. The flasher LEDs will be inside the box and are only providing a cheap and easy way of creating a flashing effect for the LED ring on the switch. I would also like to include a 0.5 second on 30 second off timer circuit that blips the buzzer as a reminder when muted but I'm not really sure how.

Advice and suggestions much appreciated. I'm sure there are errors in the cct as my knowledge is very limited.

**broken link removed**

edit: here is the switch incase it helps make sense of my diagram. It is an on/on latching push button with separate LED terminals.
**broken link removed**

edit: and the physical layout:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I suggest you begin by reading **broken link removed**. The serial port is very limited as to power available. Next try to better explain where you want to go with this project?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back