Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronics magazines whats your choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfdetective

I miss the good old days of radio electronics and pop elect. mags. I have recently subscribed to nuts and volts. but I wish it had more building projects, I have seen a few mags from the UK occasionally make it to the news stand which were really good. Does anyone subscribe to any good electronics media? I have made a good collection of the radio ele and pop ele. there was a lot of good projects

Good Idea

Yes, I too am looking for a good magazine. I like looking at new, cool technology, and at times, it would be nice to build a project as a group. Well... I have tried lookign at www.nutsvolts.com but their website never loads, anyone else having this problem? I like this website, but a publication would be nice.

falmeshon said:
you cannot beat silicon chip
And the electronics shops in Australia (Jaycar, Altronics and to a lesser extent, Dick Smith) sell the Silicon Chip kits.

see www.jaycar.com.au www.altronics.com.au & www.dse.com.au
I think they all offer pay by internet and will mail the orders to anywhere.

There is also Electronics World and Elektor. Printed in the UK.

The dwindling number of electronics magazines all need our support.

Jhonas, even your own link works find for loading the Nuts & Volts site. You like the site but a publication would be nice? Nuts & Volts magazine existed long before their Internet site. They were originally a classified ad tabloid for electronics and had the foresight to expand into a "regular" hobby magazine as the on-line auctions started eating them alive. They've change their magazine format (i.e., size and binding) several times since they started publishing, so storage of old copies is a pain.

I wasn't sure that Elektor Electronics was still around. They quit shipping to the U.S. as far as I know. Used to be a pretty good magazine for construction articles. A Google shows they're still around, but may have kicked up their material to more of an engineering level. Can't tell for sure.

Dean

Well... I am wondering what the problem for me not being able to oppen the browser for nuts and volz magazine is. I am using both Firefox and IE. Oh.. thats uncool.

Dean Huster said:
Jhonas, even your own link works find for loading the Nuts & Volts site. You like the site but a publication would be nice? Nuts & Volts magazine existed long before their Internet site. They were originally a classified ad tabloid for electronics and had the foresight to expand into a "regular" hobby magazine as the on-line auctions started eating them alive. They've change their magazine format (i.e., size and binding) several times since they started publishing, so storage of old copies is a pain.

I wasn't sure that Elektor Electronics was still around. They quit shipping to the U.S. as far as I know. Used to be a pretty good magazine for construction articles. A Google shows they're still around, but may have kicked up their material to more of an engineering level. Can't tell for sure.

Dean

They still sell foreign magazines such as Elektor, EPE & Electronics World in Australia but I have never seen a Nuts & Volts. Elektor are still doing construction articles. Electronics World is more engineering than construction.

falmeshon said:
nuts and volts is in aus. I saw it in borders the other day.
Thanks, I have never seen it in the newsagent's shops that I haunt. I've never heard of borders, where are you located?

Len, I notice that Melbourne is your home. I was wondering if you know if Radio Australia is still on the air on short wave. I used to listen to it all the time as a kid, but I've not heard a lot of those stations over the past several years -- Addis Abba, Ethiopia; South Africa.

Dean

Dean Huster said:
Len, I notice that Melbourne is your home. I was wondering if you know if Radio Australia is still on the air on short wave. I used to listen to it all the time as a kid, but I've not heard a lot of those stations over the past several years -- Addis Abba, Ethiopia; South Africa.

Dean
Dean,
I don't know much about Radio Australia. I know they have reduced their transmissions, but they do still broadcast.

This site has links to their programmes and broadcast media. https://www.abc.net.au/ra/

See their "Radio Guide" and "Tuning in" links. You will see that they transmit via the internet also.

We listen to the local ABC. AM 774 kHz (not much help to you), but they also have an internet service, see:-

**broken link removed**

"Australia all over" is very good and has overseas listeners. It is on Sundays starting at 5.30 am EST (GMT +10)

borders is located at chatstone shopping centre or on chapel st. nuts and volts costs about $14 per issue there from memory. some pretty big profit margins you would think there.

Silicon Chip is an excellent Australian magazine,

Then go to Jaycar for parts, they support also a lot of the projects from Silicon Chip with complete kits or parts.

Also Elektor is great and their series of 300 projects books.

I got the lot 273, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307 and 308 which are a great resource for ideas for projects or just ponder about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back