Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronics education

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericbirecki

Hi all,

I just found this forum recently and would like to get some opinions on my big questions about education.

I am starting my second year in an Electronics and Computer Engineering Technology course at my local community college in Dayton OH. I don't know what my future education plans will be, but, I do know that I don't want to limit my options. I have decided to take college courses instead of technical courses in math and English (and possibly physics, please advise). I am currently taking Trig and have to take Calc next. I am finishing up circuit analysis, and beginning semi-conductors.

Can anyone explain to me what the practical differences are between an electronics engineering degree and a engineering technology degree. I know that for the EE degree I would need several quarters of Calculus, and I am trying to decide now if I should continue on with math or stop at Calc 1 which is all that is required for a tech degree.

Also, can you tell me what types of jobs are available for a person with an Associates degree in ECET?? The college highlights repair work as the largest application, and I would like to know if that is the only good application. What type of job could I get with a 4 year degree??

I am having a blast learning and look forward to some projects that I have in mind to try. But, right now I'm trying to concentrate on school and want to make sure that I'm making the right decisions for the future. Any clues would be appreciated.

Eric B.

EE - the top program, geared towards all the math and theory behind everything. can design the microprocessors and IC chips...

EET - next in line, alot more practical and geared towards design engineering aspects. actually being able to build a usefull circuit given the components.

ECET - basically a technition... prepare to sit at a bench and solder stuff all day long. Not really what you want to look into.

choose EET or EE, both will require calc1 and calc2, as well as physics1 and physics2 (at least my university does), only EE will also have other math courses and be a more "calculus" oriented program. EET will be a more design oriented program geared towards building projects. ECET is more geared towards trouble shooting and building circuits, nothing much to really do with designing them.

If you choose EET and think you have the drive and intelligence and the ability to get in, look into Purdue. It's close to you and has a really good EET program...

I worked at fairchild semiconductor for the last 2 summers. My supervisor there only had an associate's degree and yet he was a decent way up the managerial ladder: a senior staff test engineer if memory serves... so it is possible to do something with just an associates. but I would definitely recommend going for the highest-level degree you think you can handle. i am currently in my 3rd year of the EE program and it is challenging but i do not doubt that it will be very rewarding.

Thanks for your quick replies. I didn't realize that ECET was so low on the totem pole. But, being a community college I didn't think I'd be doing rocket science either. Just a couple of follow up questions. The program that I'm in right now is a 2 year ECET degree, but my school (Sinclair Community College) partners with the University of Dayton to offer a 4 year degree in ECET. How would that affect the jobs that I'd be eligible for?? Is a 4 year degree still just benchtesting and troubleshooting??

Also, thanks for the advice about Purdue, but there is no chance that I'd be able to talk the old lady into moving. Wright State University is about the only place I'd be able to go that has an EE program.

Looks like I'm going to have to sit down with a counselor and discuss my options.

My instructors tell me that when I graduate, I will be able to proudly show on my resume that the school was TAC/ABET certified. Is that important?? Will anyone care??

Get as much education as you can, it will widen the opertunities available to you. Take the courses that interest you, you will figure out what to do with it later. Much of what you will do after college will be learned on the job. You need a good foundation in basics to be able to advance in your job.

ericbirecki said:
My instructors tell me that when I graduate, I will be able to proudly show on my resume that the school was TAC/ABET certified. Is that important?? Will anyone care??

TAC/ABET is the group that certifies all engineering schools. It is indeed very important, and becuase of this, I don't know of a university that doesn't have it. It's something you should definatly inquire about when you choose a school, but it's also something the school probably has.

I got into hardware verification, being able to take a chip design and simulate/evaluate it with software for correctness on the computer before sending it to fab. Hint- unless the design is trivial (not going to happen), it's not even possible to hit all the combinations of latch states and inputs. Very hot field and not all that many people know what it's about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back