Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronics challenge with prizes! You need to have a PALM prē, though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flx

By "prizes" I actually meant "prize", there's just one. It's a wireless charger & cover for the Palm Pre called Touchstone, as most Pre owners are probably aware of. A few details and some pictures (inside & outside) can be found at iFixit.com

Base: **broken link removed** Receiver: **broken link removed**

I'm trying to use this thing to transfer power in another project of mine and the problem I ran into is the power saving feature whereas the base only pushes current if the phone is actually on it. Otherwise, it just sends a "presence signal" about once per second. I tried connecting various loads to the output of the secondary coil (the phone part) but I could only enter charging mode occasionally, unreproducibly. I did this by connecting two led's in anti-parallel (I couldn't replicate that when shooting the video) but as soon as I take them away (it gets hot quickly), the whole thing goes back to "normal". While in continuous mode, it puts out exactly 5V.
Here's a short 20 sec video about it. Notice the faint buzz in the background that I'm picking up with that headphone, it goes along with the LED blink.

I do not have a Palm Pre! Therefore I'm not able to check what's going on between the phone and the receiver, if anything. If you have one and are willing to give it a try, I can send you the charger which you are free to keep if you find out how to trigger charging without the phone. If you already have a Touchstone and you can solve the "mystery", I will just send you the cash equivalent of a new charger as a token of my appreciation :p

THANKS to everyone chiming in or just looking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back