Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronics Beginner Seeks Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I have been getting interested in electronics ever since I worked at a university library and would come across all sorts compelling books regarding the subject. Despite my efforts, I have not been able to find many books from a beginner's perspective.

I purchased a radioshack electronics learning lab recently and I have getting some excitement out of it. But I am not learning any principles behind the projects that the kit provides. The schematics still confuse me and I have to achieve the mini-projects in a very linear and methodical way. I'm afraid I'm getting a bit bored!

Much of my motivation is coming from the vision of building musical devices such as keyboard controlled synthesizers and filters (such as the Moog and many of the Roland drum machines). My vision of building devices like these includes understanding them from a very fundamental point of view so that I can have a lot of control and insight into what's actually possible. I feel like the possibilities must be so endless!

So basically I would love some guidance about how to move towards this vision and make it a reality. Can I get some advice?

Thanks!

What you propose is no trivial task and requires a great deal of circuit knowledge. Might I suggest you look into a software solution to music synths. Freeware for such a thing can be found on the net.
https://www.hitsquad.com/smm/cat/SOFTWARE_SYNTHESIZERS/

To get your feet wet in sound waveform manipulation, take a look at this part.
**broken link removed**

I would also suggest you research Balanced audio mixers. Not the kind that just sum inputs into an op amp.

What you propose is no trivial task and requires a great deal of circuit knowledge. Might I suggest you look into a software solution to music synths. Freeware for such a thing can be found on the net.
https://www.hitsquad.com/smm/cat/SOFTWARE_SYNTHESIZERS/

To get your feet wet in sound waveform manipulation, take a look at this part.
**broken link removed**

I would also suggest you research Balanced audio mixers. Not the kind that just sum inputs into an op amp.
I am somewhat familiar with software synths (from a music composition perspective) already because I make some music with software. I also have an interest in it, but feel compelled to enrich my understanding of electronic sounds by learning hardware based methods of generating waveforms (specially analog).

The main reason is because of an old argument I read about analog circuits creating unique behaviors (and thus sounds) which aren't easily emulated by software. This is because software is based on discreet and finite values (digital). It's the "infinity" and unpredictability of analog circuits which is interesting both technically and philosophically.

I really appreciate the resources.

I am all for doing what makes you happy. Here is another link for you to check. Take note of the block diagram. Circuit diagrams are also given.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Any idea where to order good cheap parts?

Hey do you guys know any fantastic sites to buy electronic components? I don't care much for my local radioshack. They are somewhat rude when I ask questions like "do you guys have PCBs in stock?" to which they reply "ONLINE STORE." I figure if I'm going to shop on the internet instead of trying to develop a local electronics retail relationship, I might as well get some good advice. Any? Thanks!

Kevin

The main reason is because of an old argument I read about analog circuits creating unique behaviors (and thus sounds) which aren't easily emulated by software. This is because software is based on discreet and finite values (digital). It's the "infinity" and unpredictability of analog circuits which is interesting both technically and philosophically.
I'm an old analog circuit designer and love analog circuits but practically I think that anything you can do in analog audio is audibly indisinguishable from the same thing in digital (provided the digital samping rate and number of amplitude bits is adequately high). Actually you can readily generate sounds with digital that are very difficult to generate with analog.

But if you have a philosophical preference for analog, then go for it, as long as you understand there's no particular technical advantage.

Regarding on-line electronic parts I like Digi-Key, Jameco, Mouser, and Parts Express(specialize in DIY audio parts).

I'm an old analog circuit designer and love analog circuits but practically I think that anything you can do in analog audio is audibly indisinguishable from the same thing in digital (provided the digital samping rate and number of amplitude bits is adequately high). Actually you can readily generate sounds with digital that are very difficult to generate with analog.

But if you have a philosophical preference for analog, then go for it, as long as you understand there's no particular technical advantage.

Regarding on-line electronic parts I like Digi-Key, Jameco, Mouser, and Parts Express(specialize in DIY audio parts).
Thanks for for your perspective Carl. If you do indeed think this is true, could you please recommend software that functions in a similar way? I am acquainted with fruity loops and reason - two programs whose vst synths are fairly limited in their analog-like capabilities.

You seem to know what you're talking about so could you please explain it in better detail? I'm very interested in the subject.

Thanks for the parts resources!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back