Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning

Can I use electronic transformer for the audio circuit as power supply need ?

Can you tell me whether the electronic transformer will compatible with audio circuit ? Actually, I want to use the electronic transformer of the LED lamp for my audio circuit. Moreover, I like to ignore the conventional transformer for my audio circuit due to its weight and big size.

Last edited:
If the 'electronic transformer' is a fixed voltage source then yes, providing the voltage and current ratings of the source are suitable for your audio equipment. However, if the LED lamp 'transformer' is a constant-current supply then probably no.

Most 'electronic tranformers' generate switching noise in the 10kHz to low MHz range. Can produce some awful results when combined with HiFi audio equipment. I would look for an older "heavy" line-frequency (50-60Hz) plug-in transformer (Wall-Wart).

Thank you for your reply !

But my electronic transformer show this message on its body '12V.H.F' as also I giving you all technical details about it. So tell me whether it will work for my audio circuit as power supply. Here it is the details:

Electrical :
Input Supply 240 V ±10% 50/60 Hz.
Input Current 210 mA ± 10%
Input Power 55 VA max.
Power Factor cos Ø > 0.95
Output Voltage 12 V AC ± 5%
Output Current 4 Amp. ± 5%
Output Load 50 Watt
Output Frequency 50 KHz ±10%

Environmental :
EMI / RFI Conf. to IEC-1000-4.
Humming Noise Not at all
Ambient Temp. (Ta) 50°C max.
Max. CaseTemp (Tc) 20°C above Ta

Output Voltage 12 V AC ± 5%

You need 12V DC!

Also, there is no indication if this power supply provides isolation from the line side to the load side. If no isolation, it is a death trap!

I agree with Mike; DON't use that transformer.

But if I can convert the 12V AC into 12V DC through the power supply circuit which converts the AC to DC. So why it will not work for the audio circuit ? I don't understand it !

Yes you could rectify the 12V AC to get DC. The peak DC voltage would be ~ 17V, which may be too high for your (unspecified) audio kit. You would also have to provide a large amount of smoothing (big capacitor) and probably components for suppression of 50kHz switching noise. Is it worth the effort?

If it is possible, then what is the problem if I can try it ? If I could break the barrier, then I will lead it !

If it is possible, then what is the problem if I can try it ? If I could break the barrier, then I will lead it !

Well, there is the small matter that you may kill yourself:
"... there is no indication if this power supply provides isolation from the line side to the load side. If no isolation, it is a death trap!"

Good point, Mike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back