Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic timers+counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

HI FOLKS
I have yet another query which i hope you guys can help me out with.
Most electronic timers on the market need resetting every week.Is there a way this can be change by the user to two weeks or one month etc by using some additional hardware ?
Can an electronic counter be used on its own independently in place of an electronic timer
?Can the counter be combined with an electronic counter to prolong the need for resetting from weekly to one two weeks or month.

FOLKS I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME OUT THIS TIME AGAIN!
kwameklu@gmail.com

Most electronic timers on the market need resetting every week.
Could you refrence said timers? There should be no reason to have to reset a timer once it's set properly. Maybe once a year if it's a quartz powered timer. The details on what you're using and what you're using it for are completely absent from your post... It's good to START a post with this information instead of forcing us to ask for it, as it stands 'electronic timer' is such a generic set of words there is not way to answer your question.

Below is the details of one of the timers i am talking about about.You can follow the link below to see the picture.Most of these timers need weekly resetiing which can be a pain in the neck.Does anybody have any idea about timers which can be used for may be two or three months or even a year before resetting it?
I hope you now understand what i am talking about.What is the differEnt between an electronic timer and an electronic counter?Are they interchangeable?

Digital Lamp Timer DT300CH
Turns lights on and off automatically. Manual override ON/OFF switch allows the user to have manual control of the device. Up to 20 ON/OFF settings with Daily or Weekly setting options.

5 Amps
500W Tungsten
120 Volts, 60 Hz
**broken link removed**

And no I don't understand what you mean between using a electronic timer vs a counter, again the terms you're using are generic. Do you mean a counter IC chip vs a full fledged timer circuit? No they're not even comparable what you're asking is like taking the engine out of a car and expecting to be able to drive just the engine down the street, there's a lot more than the counter to deal with, namely what's clocking it and all the other components for power switching.

I'm still confused about why you're having to reset the unit(s) every week, the quartz clocks in those things should be accurate to within a few minutes per year.

Last edited:
To cut a long short, do you know of any electronic timer which can used for may be one or two years without the need for resetting.I am not talking about timer IC or DIY timer.Do have know of any make or brand or may be their website?

kwame, you didn't answer my question. The timers you're current lyusing should not require resetting more than once a year, you're not explaining what your issue actually is with these units, or what precision the timing needs to be so there is no way to answer your question. There are probably a few hundred makers of such devices, if we don't know your exact requirements rather than the vagaries you've given so far there is no way to suggest anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back