Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ELECTRONIC SPEEDOMETER INPUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dleligdon

Trying to replace my motorcycles mechanical speedometer with an electronic one. Many GM 27-168 stepper motors available for a reasonable price. I can not find a data sheet showing the type of input. ma, voltage, or pulse??? Using Adruino for processor.

Motorcycle is a 1973 BMW R 75/5 and NOS units are very expensive.

Thanks for your help, Dave

Sorry, but I missed the connection between the availability of stepper motors for a reasonable price, no less, and an electronic speedometer. :confused:

You don't need a stepper motor.... A simple DC hobby motor will generate a voltage that can be read on the Arduino..

I used one in an Anemometer project and it worked quite well....

Other than that a rotary encoder would serve you better...

Ian:

i think you missed the point. The stepper motor drives the needle. How? Not exactly sure since i never had one apart. it COULD be a one of those funky gears like used in a hobby locomotive and a stepper. So, instead of a linear actuator like you have in a floppy drive, you get an angular actuator. I just don't know. All I know is they call them "stepper motors".

This is a page from VDO explaining how there stepper inst works.

Attachments

• VDO STEPPER MOTOR INST.pdf
    538.7 KB · Views: 482
Ian:

i think you missed the point. The stepper motor drives the needle. How? Not exactly sure since i never had one apart. it COULD be a one of those funky gears like used in a hobby locomotive and a stepper. So, instead of a linear actuator like you have in a floppy drive, you get an angular actuator. I just don't know. All I know is they call them "stepper motors".

Then why is the title about reading the input???? Driving the electronic output will be the stepper driver, which isn't implied!!

Most gearboxes nowadays have a transducer that outputs frequency.... But "Mechanical" systems are still rotary cable...

This is a stepper motor from a Ford instrument panel & its made by VDO. It used a custom VDO processor to drive it. The instrument panel was driven by the speed sensor on the transmission. It uses a Hall sensor to give a square wave output.

Attachments

• VDO INST STEPPER.1.JPG
    VDO INST STEPPER.1.JPG
    738.7 KB · Views: 387
  • VDO INST STEPPER.2.JPG
    VDO INST STEPPER.2.JPG
    741.9 KB · Views: 385
  • VDO SPEED SENSOR.1.JPG
    VDO SPEED SENSOR.1.JPG
    798.5 KB · Views: 386
  • VDO SPEED SENSOR.2.JPG
    VDO SPEED SENSOR.2.JPG
    841.5 KB · Views: 388
Thanks for all your help. I think VDO data sheet debe showed is what I need. I,ll check out the other links also. Being a retired mechanical engineer gives me a lot of time to tinker and learn how to do new things.

Thanks again, Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back