Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbs

hello, i'm new here. i have a question regarding capacitors...

is it plausible to connect a capacitor to a twin pronged dart and use that dart as a shock weapon. (i ask only for research for a publication i am working on, hope this is ok)

It's possible. Whether it's practical depends on many vairables, dart size, what you're bringing down, etc. Capacitors aren't perfect charge storage devices; they only hold charge for a short time. Now, having said that, hope I don't become a victim of your shock weapon:eek:

cheers, its just a theory. mainly for a role playing game i'm working on.

the premise is this: a taser weapon but without the wires connecting the darts to the hand unit. the darts have their own charge. (note: will not be testing due to danger and the illegal nature of tasers in the uk lol)

agreed. but is the concept possible? using a better system than the capacitor idea? i'm lacking in knowledge on the electronics side of things (give me a house and i can wire your lights and power etc lol)

the problem with a capacitor is that, with the low resistance of the body once the skin is broken, even a fairly large capacitor (a photo-flash capacitor, for example) would probably discharge too quickly to stun someone (but it would probably hurt A LOT). I hope that I am not assisting in the creation of some insidious weapon here:eek:, but perhaps something that produced a longer lasting shock would work better? For example, something like a "Joule thief", which can draw a large voltage from a fairly small power source, and is still small enough that one might conceivably fit it into a dart, may be a more practical choice of shock producer.

high voltage joule thief!

I certainly hope that this would never actually be used as weapon, even if it were only being used to stun someone!:eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back