Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Repair qualifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

ploppybax

I am looking to carry out electronic repairs on chargers 230vac/12vdc. Do i need formal qualifications? or is being competent, enough to carry out these repairs for others (and get paid...under a sole trader business).
By competent, i mean i am able to work in a safe and controlled manner and i have a good understanding of the electronic components that i replace (like for like). The repaired devices are also load tested to within their safe working limits.
I have various qualifications in in the automotive industry i.e HNC in automotive engineering, 2 x BTEC national diplomas, and various city and guilds. Also i have qualifications in 240/110v testing on vehicle inverter systems.
I really have a passion for electronics, and have been assembling circuit since i was about 10 years old..god almost 23 years ago!
I want to set up as a sole trading providing this service, but i need to verify that i will be ok (in a court of law, if something goes wrong!) if I can demonstrate and document everything i do to get a charger working again. I am not changing the design of the charger, i am simply repairing a faulty component, to the same spec as the one that's blown, which can sometime be simply a diode!
Your help would be appreciated... by the way i am new to the site and i am enjoying it so far!

By "charger" do you mean battery charger/boosters for automobiles?

I would say it ultimately depends on your country (local and national laws); with that said, I don't see how this would be much different than television repair. Provided it isn't a device that could cause bodily injury or harm (for instance, I am sure medical equipment repair and refurbishing is covered by certain laws, due to the type of equipment), there probably isn't much regulation of it (outside of regular business laws).

Have you talked with a lawyer specializing in business practice? That's where I would start, first (in the US, such a 1 hour consultation wouldn't cost more than $100.00 USD - cheap insurance, if you ask me).

Oh - and finally - you may want to look into liability insurance for your busines, and perhaps also go the route of whatever is "next up" beyond "sole proprietorship" in your country (here in the US - and maybe elsewhere - that next level, which offers more legal protections to the principals of the business - is an LLC/LLP - limited liability corporation/limited liability partnership). There's also "insurance" to allow you to offer warantee guarantee of your work (which will also help limit any personal liability).

I would really think long and hard about what you are trying to do - in my experience, people will sue for the the most frivolous and petty of things, especially if they think you have more money than them. Having insurance, proper business filings, etc won't prevent this, but mixing your personal affairs with that of your business may allow them to take your personal property, etc in such a lawsuit. That's why a sole proprietorship is so risky, and should only be used for the most benign of businesses where an upset won't cause great harm to your personal affairs.

Ploppy, I assume that you are in the UK.

I dont think that you need a formal qualification to repair "chargers".
To help keep things tidy from a legal liability point of view it would be a good idea to do a PAT test on the repaired chargers.

From a business point of view, is there sufficient money to be had from just fixing chargers, or are you thinking of this as just one aspect of an electronics repair business?

JimB

In the US all you need vender’s license so you can get a tax number, lots of capital and enough satisfied customers to keep business coming in. The biggest decision to be made is how you are going to organize your business. As a sole proprietor, everything you own is on the line. As a limited liability company of some type, like a corporation, only the amount you chose to invest in the company is at risk but, the company has to pay taxes as well as you have to pay taxes on your profit.

Thanks for the views, i am from the uk, the chargers are standby chargers (or float chargers). They remain at 13.8v regardless of load, obviously up to their stated capacity.
I spoke to the HSE (health and safety executive) and they basically said that if i am competent in my repairs and show correct health and safety procedures, and record all repair details i will remain on the good side of things!
I am waiting for more clarity from the Trading Standards people in the uk, as they would be the group 'chasing' me if things went wrong.
Liability insurance is a must i feel.

As regard the testing, i perform output tests, volts vs amps during various stages of load, i intend to start recording this detail.
Does it really need a PATS tests as its not considered a Portable piece of equipment?
The earth leakage would be tested by my connection to the mains socket i have which has a residual current device (RCD) built in, if only at fault stage...at least it shows no earth leakage.
I suppose the only thing i am not testing is the insulation resistance, apart from the obvious visual checks and ohm meter checks.
Any way i'll keep you informed as to the 'official' outcome when trading standards call me! wish me luck.

Thanks for the views, i am from the uk, the chargers are standby chargers (or float chargers). They remain at 13.8v regardless of load, obviously up to their stated capacity.
I spoke to the HSE (health and safety executive) and they basically said that if i am competent in my repairs and show correct health and safety procedures, and record all repair details i will remain on the good side of things!
I am waiting for more clarity from the Trading Standards people in the uk, as they would be the group 'chasing' me if things went wrong.
Liability insurance is a must i feel.

As regard the testing, i perform output tests, volts vs amps during various stages of load, i intend to start recording this detail.
Does it really need a PATS tests as its not considered a Portable piece of equipment?
The earth leakage would be tested by my connection to the mains socket i have which has a residual current device (RCD) built in, if only at fault stage...at least it shows no earth leakage.
I suppose the only thing i am not testing is the insulation resistance, apart from the obvious visual checks and ohm meter checks.
Any way i'll keep you informed as to the 'official' outcome when trading standards call me! wish me luck.

Trading Standards probably won't be much help.

However, do the chargers have mains plugs on them? - if so, then they are 'Portable Appliances' and so need a PAT test (as much as anything else does).

It would make sense for you to PAT test them, as you don't appear to be doing any other safety tests (using an RCD isn't testing very much), and the documentation you provide from the test would be useful to your customers.

It sounds like you're rather vague about electrical safety and requirements, are the chargers Class I or Class II, or do you get both?.

It sounds as though the chargers are a piece of industrial equipment, I had visions of a box full of mobile phone :D chargers etc!

JimB

sorry for sounding vague..i wasn't trying to be..they are caravan chargers, they don't come with plugs attached as they are fitted by the consumer into the distribution board on the caravan.
All of the chargers i've seen so far are CLASS 1 as the need to be connected to electrical earth.
I do understand electrical safety and the requirements under electrical regulations, my initial inquiry was about how i need to achieve 'authority' for repairing them given that:
1, the chargers don't have a plug
2, the chargers are re-installed by the owner
3, the repairs are electronic, i.e not always mains related.
4, i have experience in electrical testing (and a certificate that is limited to that of 230/110volt in vehicles, including electricity at work regulations).
5, i have experience in electronic construction and design.
6, i have the utmost respect for electrical safety
7, i don't have an official qualification in 'charger repairs'

the official line under electrical testing is
"No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger or, where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work."

and

"Competence to prevent danger and injury (Reg 16)
If competence is in doubt, inspectors should enquire into:
technical knowledge, and
experience
in relation to the work activity being undertaken. Clearly, more knowledge is required of those involved in high voltage work compared to those doing 25-volt test work.[/I][/I]

I feel that i am competent to carry out the repairs and can prove the fact with the end result of my work, and the safe working practices i have started to put in place.
I was just after guidance, given that, carrying out repairs for paying customers raised a whole load of new question in my head!
Thanks for your responses it's much appreciated

What's a "caravan"?

Since it's installed by the user, I'd sill do a leakage test unless the product is double insulated. I would also think that Hi-POT testing MIGHT be part of your troubleshooting at times, but no where routine.

What's a "caravan"?

I think you call them 'trailers'?.

Since it's installed by the user, I'd sill do a leakage test unless the product is double insulated. I would also think that Hi-POT testing MIGHT be part of your troubleshooting at times, but no where routine.

Double insulated still needs testing as well - again, covered by PAT testing. It would be a good idea to PAT test all repairs and issue a certificate with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back