Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronic ignition help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

machine-it

hi everyone
could someone help me with this, i dont really know all that much about electronics but find them very interesting, i have a small 2 stroke engine it has a magneto, iwould like to get rid of the magneto and use a 6v battery and hall sensor arrangement, i have an understanding of it works but not sure exactly what to use.

heres what i know (not much :rolleyes: )
magnet on crank or flywheel
hall sensor on crankcase
resistor?
not sure if i need a transistor ?
battery
coil

i think this would work as a basic system (no advance) but im not sure how to wire it up or what types of the components to use.

if this would work could someone show me how,
also how difficult would one with auto advance be

would it be possible to make a smaller coil also, smaller than the standard one

i know this is alot of questions but i would appricate any help thanks

thanks
but i already know about that site i have been searching the net for months trying to work this out.
the whole idea is i dont want to spend lots of money on something that is made up from a handfull of cheap parts plus i like the satisfaction of making my own things.

thats very interesting and probably answers my question about how hard it would be to have auto advance, but its way over complicated and the info incomplete.

i would really appriciate some one doing a sketch of what wire goes were on a basic system as described in my first post.

its just for a little project i want to try so i dont want to get over complicated

failing that could someone at least tell me wether a hall sensor could handle the supply voltage to the coil or would it need to switch a transistor. :confused:

Electronic (pointless) ignition isn't terribly simple, I would suggest you either buy a commercial modification kit for your specific engine (if available) or leave it as it is!. You need a lot more than just a hall effect sensor.

machine-it said:
i would really appriciate some one doing a sketch of what wire goes were on a basic system as described in my first post.
:

Here is a schematic of a working CDI ignition without autoadvance. When you say "what wire goes where," do you mean schematic, or do you want something like a kit?

machine-it said:
failing that could someone at least tell me wether a hall sensor could handle the supply voltage to the coil or would it need to switch a transistor.

Are you talking about a CDI or Kettering-type ignition. For CDI, no. For Kettering, I don't think so.

John

Attachments

• CDI.png
    CDI.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 348
If you are in the USA, give C-H a call. They will sell you most of the components you need, in particular the step-up transformer and the ignition coil. I don't believe they have a kit, which would probably cost more than a completed unit anyway. You can build the step-up transformer (see the DIY site I gave in an earlier post). I would strongly recommend that you buy the ignition coil. John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back