Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Ignition for bangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitem2k

Im trying to make an electronic ignition device out of a disposable camera.
My goal is to ignite a banger that is about 5m away at the end of a wire.

Ive got it all wired up ok, but when i attach the unit to a long wire (cat5 pair) , and press the fire button, A spark occurs at the button, and the ematch at the end of the wire does not fire.

If I attach the ematch without the long wire, the ematch fires perfectly.

I have wired the capacitor up to a button and output terminals, so that when the button is pressed the output terminals receive the voltage stored in the capacitor (NB output terminals are connected directly to the capacitor via a button).

Does any one have an ideas?

thanks very much

Hi,
It sounds as though the resistance of the Cat5 wire is too high and you are losing current/energy for the spark in the wire.

Try thicker wire.

ericgibbs said:
Hi,
It sounds as though the resistance of the Cat5 wire is too high and you are losing current/energy for the spark in the wire.

Try thicker wire.

Eric, your a genious!
Went to b&q, bought thicker wire, BANG!

nice one mate, thanks again.

Why buy thicker wire? It's CAT5, and you're only using a pair, what about the other three pairs? all those wires added toether and you have the equivilant to 15 gauge wire. If you need hot and neutral it's the same as two 18 gauge wires. Per Cat5 run.
P.S. Cat3 is MUCH easier to work with and more useful to the hobbiest as it doesn't have as many turns to deal with. The extra turns in the pairs of wires on Cat5 is only useful to high speed (Greater than 10BT) communcation runs at high distances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back