Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Gyroscopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

subhasis

hi,
Can anyone give me some idea about Electronic Gyroscopes. The fundamental idea and how to use it. Its capabilities and general uses etc.
Any project report involving their use would be of a great help.
Also please suggest me some best gyroscopes available.
Thanking you in advance,
Subhasis

I am using a gyroscope for my balancing bot. It is fairly easy to use having one output for Rateout. I'm using the 'Analog Devices' ADXRS300 Angular Rate Sensor. **broken link removed**

Its range is +- 300 degrees per second and responce is 5mv per degree per second.
The package is a 32 ball CSPBGA so unless you know how to SMD solder using paste, I would recommend the eval board for $50 that you can plug into a breadboard easily.
The Rateout gives a voltage from .25V up to 4.75V. For my project, I read this with the ADC and calculate it to give me a nice clean reading.
~Mike

thanx a lot mike,
the response wud be 5 mv per every degree... that means for a angular motion of 10 degrees i will recieve an analog signal of 50 mv.

Does it increase for positive values and decrease for negative values of degree in angle??

Or else it gives the value for change in angle after some time interval.

Can I measure the change in angle every .1 second. I mean that fast??

What about this eval board??

Can you please send me a project report of your work?

Thanking you in advance...

Subhasis

The gyroscope I am using has one dimension of rotational sensing. If yout turn it clockwise it gives you higher voltage of 4.75V out, and counterclockwise will give a lower voltage of .25V out. At rest, the output is 2.5V. The datasheet says it can measure 300 degrees/second.
Heres the datasheet, should have all the info you need.
https://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/732884779ADXRS300_b.pdf
~Mike

can you plz tell me,
how fast can i get data from the gyro?
Can I retrive the data from the gyro every 10 miliseconds.
Subhasis

I think the datasheet says it all...

The signal is analog so you can read it as often as you like. The issue is what the bandwidth of the sensor is (check the spec sheet, it's 40 Hz) and how much noise is present at frequencies up to the point you want to bandlimit out.

There are great difficulties in measuring an absolute over time. It does not give an absolute direction, only a rotation speed. The exact center point is not clear as in a 2-wire differential system or one in which the output is otherwise biased at 0V as a "zero" output. You have to infer the zero point bias voltage through calibration, and it drifts with temperature. A slight drift or calibration error will spoil any attempt to keep an absolute heading.

Thanx a lot for the valuable information...
Do you have any report or something, where u have detailed the use of this device.
I will ask you my doubts, when i start working with it.
Subahsis

Report? No. All I can reallt tell you is how to hook it up and thats pretty easy to do anyway. Connect Power and Ground. RATEOUT gives you a voltage from .25V to 4.75V. At rest, it reads 2.50v and changes voltage when you rotate it clockwise or counterclockwise. There is a TempOutput pin, but I haven't tried using it yet. Most of the other pins are for testing pins and altering capacitor value to make it behave differently.
~Mike

MrMikey83 said:
I am using a gyroscope for my balancing bot. It is fairly easy to use having one output for Rateout. I'm using the 'Analog Devices' ADXRS300 Angular Rate Sensor. **broken link removed**

Its range is +- 300 degrees per second and responce is 5mv per degree per second.
The package is a 32 ball CSPBGA so unless you know how to SMD solder using paste, I would recommend the eval board for $50 that you can plug into a breadboard easily.
The Rateout gives a voltage from .25V up to 4.75V. For my project, I read this with the ADC and calculate it to give me a nice clean reading.
~Mike

Hi,

i am doing a project that needs gyroscopes to sense rotation and correct movement as well... last year i emailed the analog devices distributor in my country to ask for a quotation on the exact gyroscope you are using. they replied asking me how many thousand pieces i need.. i replied saying i only need 5 or so and they said they dun sell them in small quantities.. i tried farnell but no luck. how did you get your hands on that gyroscope and for how much per piece? the distributor also said these are controlled items... i think he is shitting me...

thanks

dogdens_R said:
Hi,

i am doing a project that needs gyroscopes to sense rotation and correct movement as well... last year i emailed the analog devices distributor in my country to ask for a quotation on the exact gyroscope you are using. they replied asking me how many thousand pieces i need.. i replied saying i only need 5 or so and they said they dun sell them in small quantities.. i tried farnell but no luck. how did you get your hands on that gyroscope and for how much per piece? the distributor also said these are controlled items... i think he is shitting me...

thanks

Just go to their website and order it online. "Add to cart". No difficulty whatsoever.

**broken link removed**

i think the "1000-4999" below the price "$30" means that if you buy 1000-4999 pieces of that IC, they will sell it to you at $30 a piece. would you like to buy 995 pieces from me? i sell you $30 a piece...

First off...you're going to want to buy the Evaluation board for $50 unless you know how to solder the surface mount 32 ball grid array.

I don't see the problem. If I go to the website and click on "add to cart', it adds only 1 of that item and allows me to go to the checkout. You can put in how ever many you want to buy when you get to the basket.
There is no minimum of 3000 or anything like that.
~Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back