Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic Door Lock keypad with Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthRT

Hey all i have a project i am interested in doing. It involves an Arduino and a Kwikset 909 Smartcode Electronic Deadbolt. I am looking to program the Arduino to mimic me pushing the keypad on the deadbolt face so that it will unlock using my cell phone, webpage, etc etc since the Arduino will be hooked up using the Ethernet Shield to a web server at the house.

The image of the deadbolt unit is this:
**broken link removed**

Problem being is that i do not know how to go about using the arduino to "push" the buttons since they seem to have 2 digits per button. Also, how would i go about wiring them up so that i only have to use one ground wire for each button so it minimizes the wiring i'll have to use?

Is this possible? What would the wires to each button need to be? Positive or negative to trigger the button?

they seem to have 2 digits per button
Are there also two switches per button?
Does that unit contain any electronics?

Ok i will be picking this lock up today so i will be sure to post images of the housing and electronic board to better give a visual as to what all i need to do.

I guess i could hook up to the relay but i am not sure if their software checks for anything and locks it out if the keypad is not used or what not?

Embedded controler applications often have multiplexed keypads, there is a common for every row and a common for every column, the micro scans the pad to see which if any button has been pressed.

Being only a 6 button pad you might be lucky and each button may have its own connection to the micro and have a common ground, check the traces, the unit may still have a multiplexed keypad, esp if the same software is used on other products which is often the case.

Last edited:
What i plan to do with it is this:

Create an Android App that runs in the background and after 5pm it checks every 3 minutes the GPS lat & long of my position and when I'm around the house it will send a command to the server and it will unlock the door before i get to it from my driveway.

I just wanted to make sure i would be able to mod the deadbolt first since i have not seen any Google listing s for the model i will be purchasing.

I would guess that pushing longer activates the second number and possibly the "beep" response is different if there is one.

Just an update... I haven't forgotten about doing the pictures. Just been busy moving in to the new home. Will get those done tonight!

Know exactly how you feel there, I moved 2 weeks back, stuff everywhere.
My 'shop is still in boxes.
My engineering stuff filled a 4.5 ton truck full.

S1 is a 4-bit switch, suggesting there are only sixteen combinations the lock can be set to. Is that the case?

Sorry again for the delay! Moving into a new home and having boxes everywhere kinda slows down the process of modding stuff.

I should have some time today to test out the motor and see if it reverses and also what voltages it uses.

Hum well i went ahead and bought this one for now (LockState LS-DB500R-RB **broken link removed**). I will be ordering another replacement again sometime soon and will update this post when i have! :)

I was also given the same requirement by my professor but the difference is that I will use a keypad, arduino and an LED display. Any idea how to do it? please reply

Break the problem down. Pick one part and get it working then move on to the next.
I am sure you can find ardunio tutorials for each part.
When you have each bit working combine them.

To tell you much more would rob you of the learning experience. Aka waste the money you are using to attend the uni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back