Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic compass - Connecting it to a PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Nichols

I'm developing a software and the software has to know where the hardware is oriented to (North, West, etc...)

I want to buy in ebay a circuit like this (or similar):
**broken link removed**

My question is what are the steps to introduce the information from the circuit to the computer. I want to use a RS-232 connection or USB.

Maybe Arduino would be the best option? Maybe other?
I want also to use 4 circuits at the same time, that are connected to the computer.

Last edited:
Your compass talks I^2C or IIC. Not something that a PC normally talks. I have a adapter that plugs into the parallel port and through software talks IIC. Many PCs now do not have a parallel port. And the software is for Win95.

It would be easy to add a very small micro computer and RS-232 translator. Or make a USB-micro that plugs into the compass and talks USB to the PC.

Ian, good find. I went to sparkfun.com looking for a USB to IIC converter but did not find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back