Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electronic brainiac's help needed!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy a set of radio control adaptors, the things for turning stuff on and off remotely. Buy a resistor of about 5 k?, 10W and wire it into a plug from live to earth. Put the plug into the remote control adaptor and get it plugged into a socket in his house, out of sight. When you want to shut him up, turn on the remote control adaptor. The current will trip his ELCB. The remote control adaptor will reset to the off position so he can get everything started again, but that also makes it almost impossible to trace your addition. You can test it all out in your house.

:D:D:D I realy like this sugestion :D:D:D

Robert-Jan

Two not-very-legal suggestions:-

Find out what make of stereo he is using. If it was made in the last 10 years it is almost certainly remote control. Buy a universal remote and program it for the right make of stereo. Turn it down when you want.

Buy a set of radio control adaptors, the things for turning stuff on and off remotely. Buy a resistor of about 5 k?, 10W and wire it into a plug from live to earth. Put the plug into the remote control adaptor and get it plugged into a socket in his house, out of sight. When you want to shut him up, turn on the remote control adaptor. The current will trip his ELCB. The remote control adaptor will reset to the off position so he can get everything started again, but that also makes it almost impossible to trace your addition. You can test it all out in your house.

**broken link removed**

Find out what make of stereo he is using. If it was made in the last 10 years it is almost certainly remote control. Buy a universal remote and program it for the right make of stereo. Turn it down when you want.
Don't you know that remotes use infrared light? The Infrared light does not go through anything except clear glass. The bad guy will see you through his window if you can get there.

Buy a set of radio control adaptors, the things for turning stuff on and off remotely. Buy a resistor of about 5 k?, 10W and wire it into a plug from live to earth. Put the plug into the remote control adaptor and get it plugged into a socket in his house, out of sight. When you want to shut him up, turn on the remote control adaptor. The current will trip his ELCB.
10W is a dim night light. It won't blow anything.

Hi.
Sounds like a simple arc generator. Something as simple as a house buzzer can be used to drive a car ignition coil, whose output can be delivered to two nails to create a nice little spark. The frequencies of this arc are DC to light and everything in between. Park this contraption close enough to a wall in your place opposite to his stereo and the traces in his stereo will pick all this up and drive him to (further?) insanity.
Or that's what it sounds like from your description. Now, if you can get someone to tell how to make this "noise" directional, you've got the perfect disruptor. I'd think twice about building this device on a block of wood, though. The char smell may disturb your family.

Have you talked to the landlord about this creep?

Later!
kenjj

good ideas everyone, divers rc adapter setup was brilliant but i cant realy get into his house to make it viable, (& im gonna save that one for another situation)i agree with audioguru that the remotes gonna be infrared so thats out, i tried the 25w taxi radio directing the rf through a log periodic it worked on radio but did'nt affect my CD player unless it was almost touching it. maybe a diff frequency would have better results? Kjennejohn suggested something that fits the description of what i saw years ago, "Arc Generator" maybe that's it i'll see what i can find out about that.
been a few suggestions to take a baseball bat to his stereo & yeah i do feel like that sometimes but its an odd situation, other than the loud music after 12 "dave", my neighbour is a good neighbour, i've fallen out with neighbours in the past, been arrested for being an idiot about it & wished i had the foresight to find another option, (like talking to you lot) the situation is made even more complex by dave being a bit "slow" theres no way i'm going get physical with him over it because he hasnt got much going for him as it is & i'm gonna look a total twat to the rest of my neighbours if i do something like that to him, so no the baseball bats outa the question, in this case its not about having the balls to do it. . . . it's about having the brains not to do it! if i can switch on my disrupter beam & his music gets turned off i cant think of a better solution, harmony restored & everyones still friends . . . . . . . . . . + apart from everything else i realy want to make make this & i could do with the laugh:D

If you are on decent terms with him, talk to him. If the loud music bothers you, it likely bothers some of the other neighbors, talk to them as well. Maybe one of them can get the point across. If he's a little 'slow', you need to be consistent and persistent, each time the problem comes up. Your disruptor beam idea won't likely be all that directional, it'll effect other neighbors as well. Probably get a few nasty shocks off it anyway, messing around with high voltage... Try peer-pressure, power in numbers. You and a few neighbors confronting him throughout the following day, about his late night behavior, will change it. Nobody likes confrontation, or being singled out in a community. Whatever his reasoning for playing his music loud late at night, won't justify the consequences the following day. When it's just you complaining, he'll figure you're just having a bad day, and taking it out on him. That logic doesn't work, if other neighbors raise the same issue later in the day. The more people involved, the stronger the reinforcement of the message.

You can mess with the stereo, but wouldn't he just buy a new one, figuring it defective?

nice idea harvey but he lives on the end of the street & i'm the only neighbour, already asked him to turn the music down the next day & he promised he would, (he never answers the door at night because he cant hear the banging because of the music or he just doesnt want to) sometimes when people drink they behave differently other times they actually become someone else, dave becomes someone else, short of kicking his door in & turning it down myself (otherwise known as aggravated burglary) the music will continue. so the die realy is cast & the disruptor needs to be built.

quote "You can mess with the stereo, but wouldn't he just buy a new one, figuring it defective?"
possibly, but i'll zapp the new one, then the next new one

i was thinking of a placing the spark/detonation/pulse at the focal point of a parabola to direct the beam at him, i could probably get into his garden & :eek:!zapp!:eek: him (er. . . i mean his stereo) through the window if it didnt pass through the wall?

;) like i say, i'm supposed to do this ;)

Last edited:
remotes gonna be infrared so thats out

Wait - don't dismiss this one too quick. You can get powerful IR diodes cheap and drive a hundred of them pretty easy. IR reflects off a lot of stuff that isn't a specular reflector to normal light, and transmits through some plastics and things (even at 800-900nm) that block regular light. And a lot of remotes use RF these days. You need to do some recon work. Use that stick of wood with the nails on it - break into his apartment, knock him in the head, tie him up, and disassemble the remote control. If it has an LED on the front of the PC board...

Don't you know that remotes use infrared light? The Infrared light does not go through anything except clear glass. The bad guy will see you through his window if you can get there.

10W is a dim night light. It won't blow anything.
It certainly will trip an earth leakage protection circuit. Here in the UK a typical RCD will trip at 30mA which is just under 7W. I don't know what sort of protection is used in the US.

In Canada only new homes have a ground fault interrupter in bathrooms, laundry room and outdoors. Most of my outlets are not protected since there isn't a ground nearby.

I gave a link to an inexpensive RF outlet switch, range is 100 feet, which you could likely extend some by adding an external antenna to the transmitter. Most houses have outlets on the outside of the house, though maybe not on the same circuit as the stereo. Something is likely to alert him to a blown breaker, he'll want to reset it.

I don't have GFI outlets or breakers either, house was built in 1946...

thanks harvey i checked out the link & i've actually got some of these remote sockets, i bought them in a sale from maplin 6 years ago wondering how i managed up till then without them, . .. . they're still in the unopend box! . . i'd love to put them to some use, if theres an outlet in his garden/yard i'll find it tonight, if not maybe his shed, (because the remote blackout realy is a great idea) even if it is'nt on the same circuit if all his lights go out when his music is on max he'll soon make a connection that max music = something goes 'pop'
duffy. . . . what can i say? i'm scared to tie him up incase he starts getting aroused, you know how it is,. . . early hours. . . good music. . . .few drinks. . . tied to a chair. . . . . . . . . . . :rolleyes:

In Canada only new homes have a ground fault interrupter in bathrooms, laundry room and outdoors. Most of my outlets are not protected since there isn't a ground nearby.

Even without a ground conection nearby it's advisible to instal one.

they're not that expensive and they do give a higher degree of protection.

Robert-Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back