Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic 4-Way Switch Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablo_jre

I am looking for a switch that supports this wiring setup. I would really prefer for it to have the combinations in order as described. Position 4 is not really necessary so if only Positions 1 through 3 are possible, that's fine.

**broken link removed**

Sorry for the horrible diagram.

Thanks

Last edited:
pablo_jre,

I am looking for a switch that supports this wiring setup. I would really prefer for it to have the combinations in order as described. Position 4 is not really necessary so if only Positions 1 through 3 are possible, that's fine.

A 4-position, 2-wafer switch should satisfy your needs.

Ratch

I do not see how you can do this with a DP4T switch of any sort. The wiring for the throws has A and B shorted to each other twice.

switch.jpg
**broken link removed**

I might just wire two slide switches like this (2 position switches):

**broken link removed**

To save confusion I will explain what I am doing.

I am overclocking a Nintendo 64.

A is pin 112 on the N64's CPU
B is pin 116 on the N64's CPU
1 is ground
2 is 3.3v

When put in the combinations shown in my OP the N64 works like this:

Position 1 (A=GND, B=GND): 100% - normal speed for the chip
Position 2 (A=3.3v, B=GND): 150% - normal speed for the N64 (the N64 defaulty runs overclocked)
Position 3 (A=GND, B=3.3v): 200%
Position 4 (A=3.3v, B=3.3v): 300%

So actually I made a mistake in my first post. Position 1 is not needed (underclocking normal N64 functionality), positions 2 and 3 are critical, position 4 is helpful, but most games crash on startup.

Last edited:
I believe the switching matrix you are after is shown on the bottom of this page. Note the people who tried it also say it didn't work in their case and results are subject to vary. Per Ratchit I would use a rotary wafer switch with two decks or a single deck with multi poles. Make sure you are careful lifting the processor legs.

Ron

Thanks Ron, that was actually one of the pages I was getting info from.

I have done this before on another N64 but I never put in a switch. I just wired the N64 to run at 200% all the time.

Now I want to mod another N64 but with the switch(es) so I can choose the clock speed on the fly (well sort of on the fly, have to turn off the console before changing switch positions).

Last edited:
It should work using bilateral switches such as MAX312 (4XNC), MAX312 (4XNO) and MAX314 (2XNC, 2XNO).

Here is an example to start with. It contains MAX312.

The MAX312/314 series has 10Ω ON-resistance matching 1.5Ω between channels.

There are overlapping functions (marked by red 'X' for the activated switch.

The four combinations must be further coded to avoid double function (shorts)

Boncuk

Attachments

• 4-POS.gif
    4-POS.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 490
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back